Local dogs raise the woof at fundraiser

<p>Lansing resident Becky Hall offers water to Titan, a two-year-old Great Dane, after the Woofer Walk on May 18, 2013, behind the rock on Farm Lane. The walk was hosted as a fundraiser for the Ingham County Animal Control and Shelter. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Lansing resident Becky Hall offers water to Titan, a two-year-old Great Dane, after the Woofer Walk on May 18, 2013, behind the rock on Farm Lane. The walk was hosted as a fundraiser for the Ingham County Animal Control and Shelter. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

On Saturday morning, dogs, puppies and their owners all gathered at the rock on Farm Lane to raise money for the Animal Cruelty Fund at the fourth annual Woofer Walk.

One of these dog owners, Sarah Cain, decided to help support the Ingham County Animal Shelter by bringing her dog and joining the walk.

“My dad does some volunteer work for the (Ingham County Animal Control and Shelter), so we just decided that it would be a good thing to support,” Cain said. “This is the first time we’ve ever participated.”

The funds were raised for the Animal Cruelty Fund to help defer the cost of housing, medication and veterinary care for shelter animals that have been neglected or abused. In addition, the funding helps to support an animal cruelty specialist who handles animal cruelty investigations and prosecutions in animal cruelty cases.

“(This year) we’ve done a number of new things like having a new online registration and online fundraising so (people) can continue to fundraise online,” according to Sarah Gilmour, one of the coordinators of the event.

“It brings together people and their animals, the community, and hopefully it’s a fun day for everyone involved,” she continued.
Last year, the Woofer Walk raised more than $13,000, Gilmour said.

This year, the event raised more than $18,000 with about 200 people walking, according to Deb Allen, another coordinator of the fundraiser.

“More people (didn’t) walk (this year), but we had some people that really raised a lot of money,” Allen said. “The team of the Ingham County Animal Control Dog Walking Club raised almost $5,000 themselves.”

According to Allen, the top-raising individual raised $1,750.
In addition to having a walk, there was an agility demonstration put on by the Obedience Training
Club of Greater Lansing, a doggie diva fashion show and a canine demo by the MSU Police K-9 Unit.

“We’re here to support the (Ingham County Animal Control and Shelter),” MSU police Officer Adam Atkinson said. “We bring our dogs out and give a canine demonstration … They can see our dogs, come up and pet our dogs, and they can actually watch.”

“(Last year), everyone liked seeing the police dogs. I think we’re going to make it a tradition, so we’ll be here for years to come,” he continued.

Share and discuss “Local dogs raise the woof at fundraiser” on social media.