Super Bowl's super odd bets

<p>Sheehan</p>

Sheehan

“ … And the home of the braaave.”

I hit the stopwatch. It reads one minute and 34 seconds.

Kelly Clarkson just wrapped up the national anthem at Super Bowl XLVI, and that cued the loudest moment at our watch party last year.

“She went over, she went over,” my brother shouted with excitement.

“No way, you stopped it too late!” my cousin barked at me.

Those, ladies and gentlemen, are the boisterous sounds and excitement that come from the wonderful world of Super Bowl proposition, or prop, betting.

Every year, online gambling sites introduce the most outrageous and wacky betting options for the biggest football game of the year. One of the more notable annual bets is guessing if the length of the national anthem will last longer or shorter than the projected time, which last year, happened to fall exactly on the prediction of one minute and 34 seconds.

But guessing the allotted time of Francis Scott Key’s tune hardly is the oddest bet you can place.

This is the first Super Bowl ever to feature two brothers, Jim and John Harbaugh, coaching against each other, which led to an abundance of creative bets. With my background in small-scale prop betting, I will break down and predict the outcome of this year’s weirdest wagers to help you score bragging rights amongst your friends.

Prop: Will Alicia Keys be booed during or after her rendition of the national anthem?

Pick: As American as it is to berate people with no chance of being condemned, I definitely don’t see this happening. Unless she burns the American flag while remixing the lyrics to be pro-Taliban, I don’t see how she can be booed during our nation’s anthem with the crowd going “two minutes away from kickoff” nuts.

Prop: Length of the final note of the national anthem, in seconds. Over/under 6.5 seconds.

Pick: So over that your ears will bleed. I could see that time being tripled, as a matter of fact. Have you heard “Girl on Fire” by her? Half of that song is held notes, so she should have no problem belting the word “brave” well into halftime.

Prop: Will either Jack or Jackie Harbaugh (the head coaches’ parents ) be shown on TV wearing any clothing that either has a San Francisco 49ers or a Baltimore Ravens logo during the game?

Pick: While I pray with all my will that both parents are clad in nothing but one team’s apparel with matching face paint, I don’t see it. The Super Bowl is not the appropriate time for mom and pop to publicly announce who their favorite child is. (Hint: the older one) (Double hint: Yes, I’m the oldest in my family).

Prop: How long will the postgame handshake/hug last between Jim and John Harbaugh? Over/under seven seconds.

Pick: I’m picking under on this — way under. John is 50 years old, Jim is 49 years old. My brother is 19, I am 20. If they are anything like me and my brother, the game will end in a hearty shove and a loud, earnest “suck it” from the winner, with no handshake and definitely no hug included.

Prop: Will Beyoncé be showing cleavage during the first song of her halftime performance?

Pick: Could you imagine the payouts that would have come with a Janet Jackson cleavage prop bet? Anyway, I say “yay” on this one. Remember little boys and girls, sex sells in America.

Prop: Number of times Ray Lewis mentions “God/Lord” in the postgame press conference. Over/under 3 mentions.

Pick: Over, with confidence. For those of you who don’t know, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis references God in a 45-second interview more than the Pope does in 24 hours. This also is his final game, and if he wins the Super Bowl expect a full-blown mass, with gospel choir included, to be held at the 50 yard line following the contest.

Matt Sheehan is a State News features editor. He can be reached at sheeha35@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Super Bowl's super odd bets” on social media.