Women's basketball loses to Penn State in 76-55 blow out

<p>Sophomore center Jasmine Hines loses possession of the ball to Penn State on Jan. 6, 2013, at Breslin Center. The Spartans lost to the Nittany Lions 76-55. Natalie Kolb/The State News</p>

Sophomore center Jasmine Hines loses possession of the ball to Penn State on Jan. 6, 2013, at Breslin Center. The Spartans lost to the Nittany Lions 76-55. Natalie Kolb/The State News

Photo by Natalie Kolb | The State News

The closest MSU managed to get to visiting No. 9 Penn State in the second half was seven points, and that was less than 30 seconds into the half.

From there, the Nittany Lions (12-2 overall, 2-0 Big Ten) grew the lead to as much as 26 en route to a commanding 76-55 win over MSU (13-2 overall, 1-1 Big Ten). The Spartans kept it close early, trading blows with PSU in the opening minutes, but an 11-0 run halfway through the first half put the Nittany Lions in the driver’s seat the rest the game.

Four PSU players scored in double figures, led by guard Dara Taylor’s 18 points. The Nittany Lions’ 76 points broke MSU’s streak of holding opponents under their season scoring average this seasone.

Sophomore forward Becca Mills led MSU with 17 points and hauled in five rebounds while sophomore center Jasmine Hines added 12 points and five boards.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball loses to Penn State in 76-55 blow out” on social media.