Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Women's basketball routs Saginaw Valley State 74-35

It was an offensive struggle early, but a surge before halftime started a rout, as the MSU women’s basketball team pummelled Saginaw Valley State 74-35 in Thursday night’s exhibition opener.

It took the Spartans nearly four minutes to make their first basket, missing their first seven shots, but a jumper from Jasmine Thomas got MSU on the board and helped MSU’s offense find a rhythm.

The senior guard scored eight of MSU’s first 17 points and finished the game with 16 points, leading three Spartans scorers in double figures.

With neither team able to gain a lead of more than seven points through the game’s first 14 minutes, MSU closed the half on a 17-3 run to open up a 35-16 halftime lead, their largest lead of the game’s opening 20 minutes.

From there the rout was on, as MSU began the second half on a 24-4 run and led by as many as 45 points before closing out the Cardinal.

Sophomore forward Becca Mills added 13 points along with eight rebounds and sophomore center Jasmine Hines chipped in 14 points and nine rebounds off the bench.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball routs Saginaw Valley State 74-35” on social media.