Volleyball opens weekend with 3-1 victory against Wisconsin

It was a tough outing for the No. 25 MSU volleyball in Wisconsin, but the Spartans came away with the 3-1 victory.

The Spartans (15-2 overall, 3-2 Big Ten) beat the Badgers in four sets (25-22, 25-21, 18-25, 25-23) to give themselves their second consecutive Big Ten win.

The Spartans had a surprisingly low hitting percentage, with .193 on the night, but held Wisconsin to an even lower average of .182.

Despite the sloppy hitting percentage, the Spartans did find some light in the performances of sophomore outside hitter Taylor Galloway and junior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski. Galloway had 16 kills and 14 digs against the Badgers, and Wicinski helped out with 19 kills.

Junior setter Kristen Kelsay was the leading supporter with her 24 assists, and freshman setter Halle Peterson chipped in with 21.

The Spartans head right back on the road to face No. 10 Minnesota at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. Going back-to-back nights for games is something that the Spartans are used to, and head coach Cathy George said that it’s situation like these that separate the contenders from the pretenders in the Big Ten.

“You have to be resilient to it, and you have to know that is just the way it is,” George said. “The teams that do that better than other teams are the ones that can survive in the Big Ten.”

Share and discuss “Volleyball opens weekend with 3-1 victory against Wisconsin” on social media.