Spirit of Halloween brings about many unique, creative costumes

Throughout the years, Halloween has had quite the evolution. For some, the seasonal holiday has become a cultural phenomenon uniting leotards, fake blood and lots of sugary treats.

For MSU students, Halloween once meant free candy and extended curfews, but it has become an excuse to party during the week and dress in costumes that would ordinarily never leave the bedroom.

With a little bit of brainstorming, students easily can create their own unique costumes, rather than getting lost among the crowds of provocative bunnies and mangled zombies.

Almost anything can be used to make a Halloween costume, according to Abby Thompson, who is the manager at Carousel Consignments, 1780 W. Grand River Ave., in Okemos.

“(Students could make) anything they could imagine,,” she said. “We have shirts, blouses, skirts — anything you could come up with.”

Thompson said since the store only stocks clothes from the past three years, students sometimes struggle to find the retro clothes they’re seeking.

Costumes, however, still can be found with the employment of a little creativity.

“I had a guy come in looking for white pants to be Freddie Mercury (of Queen),” Thompson said. “(He) was pretty amusing. He was a boy looking for women’s tight white pants.”

Apparel and textile design senior Christina Olton said she prefers a homemade costume to something store-bought because she likes having the one-of-a-kind look. Last year, Olton dressed up as a “tourist,” sporting a passport, camera and Hawaiian shirt.

Some students might want to create their costume from scratch, but Olton said students might have a hard time without sewing experience.

In that situation, Olton recommended searching for pieces they can rearrange and make unique.
“People could even go to thrift stores and take apart garments and put them together as something else,” she said.

But sewing a costume isn’t completely out of range for inexperienced seamstresses. Olton said certain materials are easier to work with than others.

She said although tulle and various types of silk are popular for Halloween, opting for something cotton-based will make the costume much easier to sew.

Apparel and textile design senior Martín Slores recommended felt as one of the simplest fabrics to work with.

“I would stay away from anything furry and shiny,” he said. “If you’ve never sewn before, it’s going to turn out really wrong. Felt is one of the easiest fabrics, but it’s so itchy, and it’s hot, so that may not be the ideal fabric, but it’s easy, and you can always glue it together.”

Thompson, Olton and Slores all agreed that creating a costume can allow for a student to express his or her creativity and stand out from the other repetitive ensembles.

Thompson said although purchasing a costume is easier and less time-consuming than making one, but she would still recommend creating an original outfit.

“I’m sure it’s easier to buy (a costume), but it’s not as fun,” she said. “You’re not going to be like anyone else.”

Share and discuss “Spirit of Halloween brings about many unique, creative costumes” on social media.