Powers tears Achilles tendon, out for season

Freshman guard Aerial Powers talks to member of the media on Oct. 8, 2012, at Breslin Center during media day. Powers tore her Achilles tendon during practice on Friday, Oct. 16, 2012, and will miss the entire 2012-13 season. Justin Wan/The State News
Freshman guard Aerial Powers talks to member of the media on Oct. 8, 2012, at Breslin Center during media day. Powers tore her Achilles tendon during practice on Friday, Oct. 16, 2012, and will miss the entire 2012-13 season. Justin Wan/The State News —
Photo by Justin Wan | and Justin Wan The State News

Highly touted freshman guard Aerial Powers will miss the 2012-13 women’s basketball season after tearing the Achilles tendon in her left heel.

Powers went down with the injury during practice on Friday and is scheduled for surgery this week. Typical recovery time for a torn Achilles is anywhere from four to six months, leaving her unable to play this upcoming season.

The national top-100 guard was slated to start this year for the Spartans after a stellar high school career at Detroit Country Day High School. During her tenure at Country Day, she earned three all-state selections and was named Associated Press Class B Player of the Year for two seasons.

In her senior season, Powers averaged 20.1 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game and shot more than 54 percent from the field.

The Spartans will miss the presence of Powers during the season, but have nine other guards listed on their roster who will be vying to step up to her role.

Share and discuss “Powers tears Achilles tendon, out for season” on social media.