Sunday, October 27, 2024

MSU ranks among top 100 in employability study, above U-M

As collegiate rankings remain a subject of discussion among many universities, MSU continues to appear on numerous lists in strong standing when compared to other Big Ten universities.

MSU recently ranked No. 92 in the 2012 Global Employability Survey, which appeared in The New York Times and ranked the employability of graduates from 150 global universities.

The survey was compiled by Emerging, a French human resources consulting firm, and Trendence, a German research institute, according to the survey.

About 2,200 business managers, global chief executives and more than 2,500 recruiters were asked to determine which universities they scout to find the best employees.

Director of Admissions Jim Cotter said he was impressed after hearing about MSU’s ranking.

“I must admit, as I read it, I think it bodes very, very well for (MSU),” Cotter said. “I think (MSU), by design, is a place that focuses on helping students become difference-makers.”

Cotter said MSU’s ranking also could be a product of the university’s increasing global outreach and continued commitment to study abroad.

In terms of Big Ten universities on the list, MSU ranks behind Northwestern University at No. 67 and in front of the University of Michigan, which is ranked at No. 96.

Cotter said he found it interesting MSU was ranked highly compared to other Big Ten universities. He said it might have to do with MSU students’ ability to engage in their education, including interactions in the classroom and with one another.

“I think it reflects very well on (MSU),” Cotter said. “We continue to create an opportunity for students to engage in their education. … It is so critical.”

But Phil Gardner, director of MSU’s Collegiate Employment Research Institute, said he does not like studies such as this one because employers usually have a stake in the outcomes.

“They don’t look at the total rate of employers, (so) it gets self-serving,” Gardner said.

He said people who look at the study have to think about all the factors going into the ranking and who is benefiting from it.

“They’re selling marketing services to companies,” Gardner said.

“That’s why you have to be careful with all these kinds of lists and why they do them and what they get from them.”

Gardner said the study is very limited because small employers are not asked to participate in the survey, and they hire more MSU students than some of the larger companies.

“Those kinds of (large) employers don’t hire many students from MSU,” Gardner said. “Small (and) medium employers are very important to Michigan State (graduates).”

Human biology freshman Francesca D’Introno said she thinks MSU’s ranking is accurate.

“There are lots of majors here that people are studying,” D’Introno said. “Those who succeed will be able to get a job (after graduating).”

D’Introno said she originally is from Italy, but has been in the U.S. for the past four years, so she knows the draw international students have to American colleges.

“Everybody wants to come to America,” D’Introno said. “The schools are better.”

Cotter said rankings such as these are helpful for students deciding where to attend college, but the most important ranking is the student’s personal ranking.

“Students look at where they feel comfortable, where they feel a part of things (and) where that student will have the biggest success,” Cotter said. “(Rankings) are one of many different tools that a student can use to evaluate an institution, but they should never replace the individual ranking.”

Cotter said MSU is focused on undergraduates and preparing students for a career after college, and while MSU likes to be ranked, it must continue to improve and move forward.

“It’s hardly something that we can sit on for a long period of time,” Cotter said. “We can continue to go about our (day, but then) we get right to it.”

Share and discuss “MSU ranks among top 100 in employability study, above U-M ” on social media.