Friday, September 20, 2024

MSU campus should be smoke-free

Editor’s Note: Views expressed in guest columns and letters to the editor reflect the views of the author, not the views of The State News.

Dear Editor:

I am writing in support of your recent editorial titled “MSU should consider smoke-free campus.” As a freshman living on campus, I agree that secondhand smoke is a problem that should be addressed. As a runner, I am concerned about keeping fit and healthy, and do not wish to be exposed to the problems and diseases caused by secondhand smoke exposure.

According to the U.S. surgeon general, there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. It causes heart disease, cancer and respiratory tract infections and worsens asthma. Results of a recent study done at an outdoor venue where smoking was allowed found that nonsmoking study participants were exposed to the dangers of secondhand smoke exposure even while outdoors.

In addition to health dangers, cigarette butts are the most littered item and negatively impact the environment — they end up in storm drains that flow into the water supply, and the filter takes as long as 10 years to decompose. Discarded butts also cause fires.

MSU’s campus is beautiful. Why allow litter and secondhand smoke to take away from this? Why would campus officials knowingly allow a dangerous addiction to take place on their campus while causing secondhand smoke-related problems for the majority of other nonsmoking students?

Michigan State would be wise to adopt the “Pure Michigan” tourism slogan by eliminating smoking on its campus, just as the University of Michigan and more than 800 other U.S. campuses have done.

Jordan Strickler, prenursing freshman

Share and discuss “MSU campus should be smoke-free” on social media.