Thursday, September 19, 2024

Icers split weekend series with Lake Superior State

The MSU hockey team (2-3-1 overall, 1-1-0 CCHA) returns home from the opening weekend of CCHA play with a weekend split to Lake Superior State, or LSSU.

On Friday, LSSU had a dominant second period, producing three goals in a span of less than fifteen minutes.

Sophomore forward Tanner Sorenson had the lone goal for MSU in the period, scoring on assists from junior forward Lee Reimer and freshman defenseman Travis Walsh on a powerplay.

Senior forward Anthony Hayes netted his first goal of the season, slamming the puck into the upper left corner of LSSU’s net in the third, but his goal wasn’t enough to increase MSU’s momentum, as the Spartans fell, 3-2. However, Saturday night was a very different story.

Sorenson had a goal and an assist for MSU to bring his goal count this season to three. Sophomore forward Matt Berry also had a goal and as assist, as did freshman defenseman John Draeger — his first collegiate goal. Hayes also was credited with a goal on the night.

Freshman netminder Jake Hildebrand made his first collegiate start on Saturday, racking up 27 saves throughout the night in a 4-2 victory. LSSU netted a goal in the second and one in the third, but it wouldn’t be enough to top the Spartans.

Share and discuss “Icers split weekend series with Lake Superior State” on social media.