Sunday, October 27, 2024

Domestic violence remains unseen issue

Just because relationship violence isn’t apparent at the parties Megan Kelly often attends, the social work senior said it isn’t something that’s nonexistent on campus, but something prevalent in all communities ­— something she thinks MSU students should take better note of.

This semester, there have been two publicized cases of relationship violence, including the assault cases of journalism sophomore Zachary Tennen and advertising junior Brandon Carmack.

In each case, witnesses said both students abused a woman at a party scene. In the Carmack case, witnesses said he assaulted his ex-girlfriend.

Now, as October marks Domestic Violence Awareness Month, institutions at MSU are taking the initiative to spread awareness.

Kelly, a student intern at MSU Safe Place, said it is critical for students to be educated, and she believes these cases can spark conversation.

“It’s making people stop and think about it — just (the fact) that (relationship violence) exists,” she said. “And maybe, (it) makes people reevaluate their relationships.”

Kelly said it is important for students to know resources such as MSU Safe Place are available, giving them peace of mind and a place to reach out to.

Holly Rosen, director of MSU Safe Place, said they provide a shelter and support services to women, children and men, who have been victims of domestic violence.

Rosen said the most common incidents of domestic violence involve relationship violence or stalking, as many cases occur whether or not a person is living with their abuser ­— couples can be dating, no longer involved or at other stages in a relationship.

Rosen said the facility sees anywhere from 75 to 100 individuals in the shelter and 50 to 75 people seeking support services.

She also said there is many more cases of domestic violence at MSU than the facility deals with and in many cases, abusers, along with the abused, try to use alcohol as an excuse.

“Alcohol does not turn nonabusive, not-violent people into batterers, (or) people who abuse their partners,” Rosen said. “In order to be violent against your partner, on some level, the person thinks that that’s okay to do and so, when they get drunk, that might be in their mind.”

Jayne Schuiteman, the interim director at the Women’s Resource Center, said many people are looking at the “wrong end” of the problem.

“(We have to) look squarely at the person who is abusive and they have to take responsibility for their own behavior,” Schuiteman said. “We should put the responsibility on the abuser, not the victim.”

Share and discuss “Domestic violence remains unseen issue” on social media.