Saturday, September 28, 2024

Costumes permit self-expression

<p>Radecki</p>

Radecki

Editor’s Note: Views expressed in guest columns and letters to the editor reflect the views of the author, not the views of The State News.

With Halloween celebrations in full swing between two “Halloweekends,” reporters of The State News campus desk discuss girls’ costumes — or lack thereof.

Isabella Shaya
academics reporter

For college girls, Halloween costumes seem to get smaller and heels higher as they get older.
As a result, Halloween turns the streets of East Lansing into a porn movie.
Costume companies profit from making promiscuous versions of every person and thing one could ever imagine — firefighters, hamburgers, skunks, race car drivers — you name it, they have it.
Personally, I’m a huge fan of the holiday, and I see no problem with the revealing and promiscuous costumes.
No one is being harmed — aside from being scarred by the sight of far too much skin ­— so what’s all the fuss about?
Halloween is the one day out of 365 days in a year when it’s acceptable to look different, and everyone has the option to choose in what direction they want to take their costume.
Halloween is the one day when even the most conservative girls get to look as if they belong in a strip club.
At the end of the day, Halloween is all about dressing up and having fun. And if you are having fun, I consider that a mission accomplished.

Darcie Moran
student government reporter

On a typical weekend, it’s common to see girls walking down Grand River Avenue clad in short skirts and high heels; but on Halloween, it’s almost a competition to show the most skin.
Although I admit to wearing not entirely modest outfits on Halloween, I question why girls compete in the least-amount-of-fabric costume challenge.
It’s frustrating when the only option in Halloween costume stores for women are “sexy” costumes, while men have far more choices. But this doesn’t completely explain the phenomenon.
Until a majority of girls start wearing costumes based off of an idea other than sex, girls will continue to compete to wear the least.
To be clear, I don’t find it wrong to embrace sexuality, but I’m interested in girls not being pressured into smaller outfits than they’d wear otherwise.
There is no shame in wearing pants if it’s 46 degrees out — the predicted forecast for this weekend — and you don’t need to compete with a friend wearing a short skirt and high heels.
I don’t judge women who dress this way, but if you are a girl planning to continue Halloween celebrations this weekend, consider why you are wearing a little duct-tape dress as a costume to look like Taco Bell hot sauce.

Samantha Radecki
diversity reporter

My philosophy: E.L.E. — everybody love everybody.
This should hold when considering what an individual chooses to wear as a Halloween costume, even if it might be considered a tad “slutty.”
Although I chose a different, darker and more covered route this year as “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” or Lisbeth, I am not against those who chose to be Playboy Bunnies, Hooters girls or wear any outfit consisting of short skirts and tiny tops.
When wearing a costume on Halloween, an individual gets to choose an alternative identity for that evening.
It should not be up to a panel to decide whether or not an individual has morals based off of what he or she decides to wear on Halloween.
Ultimately, Halloween is a college drinking party holiday. Who is to say the tiny clothing isn’t worn to other parties throughout the year?
So why pick on Halloween?
Give the girls a chance to dress silly, spookily or scantily — without judgment.

Derek Blalock
administration reporter

I love Halloween and seeing all the crazy costumes, but I do believe people can get carried away.
Girls, wear whatever your heart desires on Halloween. Just remember, people will be watching. Sorry if that sounds creepy, but it’s true.
Some girls might be disgusted when they see guys looking, but in this situation, because of the holiday, just realize that guys like to look. Take it as a compliment.
I know most girls realize they will get people’s attention by dressing in promiscuous costumes, but don’t blame guys for looking. No one ever got in trouble for looking — unless someone catches you.
A defense girls might give for wearing revealing clothing is they have the right to feel comfortable in what they wear. That’s absolutely true, but I know you’re not comfortable when it is 30 degrees, windy and you have very little clothing on.
Guys, this isn’t an excuse to get physical, so don’t pressure anyone if they’re not digging your “mojo,” and don’t do anything stupid.
In college, Halloween is one of the biggest party weekends of the year and everyone wants to have a good time, so don’t spoil it. Just have fun and party hard.

Share and discuss “Costumes permit self-expression” on social media.