Safety concerns close residence hall gyms

Students living on campus will have to walk a bit further to get a workout at an on-campus facility this semester, but they might be safer for it.

Safety issues have caused all fitness centers in residence halls to close until January 2013 for repairs and improvements, according to a letter from Director of Residence Education and Housing Services Kathy Collins to all hall residents.

“After conducting a risk assessment that focused on the management of the fitness centers located in the residence halls throughout campus, we found that the facilities did not meet necessary safety requirements,” said Ashley Chaney, assistant director of communications for Residence Education and Housing Services in an email.

Chaney said fitness centers in residence halls were a high risk because they were isolated and in an emergency, students would be unable to get help.

Lack of supervision, the dangers of free weights and out-of-date equipment also are safety issues that called for the temporary closure, Kelcey Gapske, Residence Halls Association, or RHA, president said in an email. She said all free weights will be removed from the centers permanently.

Fitness rooms will receive improved safety by installing windows, telephones and upgraded cardio equipment, Chaney said.

Other changes to the residence halls fitness centers includes RHA passing the responsibility for a majority of the centers to Residence Education and Housing Services, Gapske said. She said eventually the entire program will be handed off to a third party.

“Residence Education and Housing Services … will start running the fitness rooms in the residence halls using the model that can be found in many ‘hotels’ around the country,” said Collins in an email to Gapske.

Gapske said because Residence Education and Housing Services is meant to provide other services and not handle a fitness business, it would be better if a third party took control of the program.
She said making the changes will not only improve safety for students but will limit the university’s and residence hall’s liability if a student received an injury during their workout.

Students in the residence halls will have access to free exercise classes during the semester so students can remain active, Collins said in her letter to students.

Alex Yagelski, a freshman in the sports and commercial turf management program, said the improvements are “a pretty positive idea,” adding a fitness center is a cheaper option compared to on-campus intramural sports facilities.

Yagelski said the fitness centers might lose customers if they get rid of their free weights as planned, but, overall, a semester without the centers will not be detrimental. He said he is not particularly alarmed that the centers needed safety updates because all companies and organizations seem to be very focussed on improved safety.

Share and discuss “Safety concerns close residence hall gyms” on social media.