Friday, September 27, 2024

MSU Board of Trustees approves renovations

The next step to completing the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams, or FRIB, was determined Friday when the MSU Board of Trustees approved a $55 million budget for construction of the exterior walls of the nuclear physics facility.

The entire FRIB project, which is slated to be completed by December 2021, is estimated to cost approximately $650 million, with about $85 million already spent on the project, according to Thomas Glasmacher, FRIB’s project manager.

The construction of the exterior walls and roof of four buildings near the existing Cyclotron building is scheduled to begin in March or April 2013 and be completed by June 2016.

However, there could be potential setbacks down the road depending on funding by the Department of Energy, appropriations from the State of Michigan and MSU.

“We continue to get really good reviews from the (Department of Energy), and we just need to keep that up,” Glasmacher said. “We need to do our part while the federal government does their part.”
If the board voted to deny FRIB’s budget, MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said the university’s bid to start construction would have expired before the next board meeting and MSU would have had to pay between $8-10 million in construction costs.

By accepting the bid, however, MSU only will have to pay about $800,000. Even if the project gets canceled, the contract guarantees the federal government will cover the cost of construction already completed, she said.

“I felt really good that the (Department of Energy) wanted to move forward and that we’re on the same page to get this project done, although it might not be done for sometime,” Simon said. “(We have to see) how the federal government is going to solve its budget challenges and make sure the funding profile is there.”

During its meeting Friday, the board also approved an authorization to plan for a proposed expansion of the north end zone of Spartan Stadium.

The expansion is estimated to cost about $18 million and will be used to address maintenance needs. It is expected to include a two-story structure featuring an update to the home and away locker rooms, a recruiting center for all sports, an updated media room, concessions area and restrooms.

“If we’re going to have a first-class, first-rate national championship-level football program, we have to have a facility that accommodates the players and the coaches and the media, which is so important to the total package,” Trustee Brian Breslin said.

The project will be completed using money raised by the athletics department so it’s not a “burden to the institution,” Simon said.

She said it still will take an authorization to proceed vote, which could happen between the October and December Board of Trustees meetings. Construction crews then will have to work around game scheduling and other work the university has to do, she said.

Breslin said the athletics department has the ability to attract potential donors.

“There is no reason we shouldn’t take full advantage of that and be very appreciative of the fact that people want to associate with Michigan State athletics,” he said.

Jazz studies sophomore Olin Clark said although he understands the renovations to Spartan Stadium because of the football team’s growing popularity, he felt more attention should be paid to the Music Building.

The trustees also voted to approve renovations to replace an electrical substation in the Music Building during their Friday meeting, but Clark said there needs to be more.

“The stadium is a big part of the school and when (people) see the stadium and it reflects on the school,” Clark said. “But everything in (the Music Building) is 10 years behind.”

The trustees also approved an authorization to proceed with renovations at Butterfield Hall.

Share and discuss “MSU Board of Trustees approves renovations” on social media.