Sunday, October 27, 2024

Event welcomes various gender identities

Senior and studio art major Candace Eason, right, donates a piece of her art work to LGBT Assistant Director Deanna Hurlburt, at the LGBT open house on Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2012, at the Student Resources building. The annual open house is held to help promote acceptance throughout the university and interact with students. James Ristau/The State News

According to Lauren Spencer, finding the “safe space” where you can embrace your gender identity or sexual orientation is one of the most exciting things a student can come across for the first time when attending the LBGT Resource Center’s, or LGBTRC, fall welcome for new students.

The event, which took place Monday evening, housed about 60 students, faculty and staff members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning and ally, or LGBTIQQA, community.

“For a lot of people, a lot of freshmen, this is the first time they are in safe space,” Spencer, the LGBTRC program coordinator, said. “I think anybody can be bullied in high school, absolutely, but to come and to have this type of space that’s a dedicated safe space to be LGBT — it’s so exciting, inspiring and just wonderful.”

Justin Merkel, a zoology junior, said he had his first “safe” experience when attending this event as a freshman.

“I had actually come out to my parents about a year before, and I had really struggled. My parents and I kind of fought throughout my senior year … and it kind of closeted me almost, in a way,” Merkel said. “And so when I came here and it was so open and accepting and great, it kind of just told me that things are going to be different from now on.”

According to information from the Michigan State University LGBTQ Climate Project Report, published in September 2010, of the 1,051 surveys returned from undergraduate students, graduate students, faculty, staff and administrators, 33 percent of the people were LGBTQ, while 66 percent were heterosexual. More than half of everyone combined described the climate at MSU as “comfortable” or “very comfortable,” while only 5 percent of respondents contemplated leaving MSU because of a “homophonic and/or genderist climate.”

Deanna Hurlbert, LGBTRC assistant director, said in general, MSU has a relatively good and accepting atmosphere with an active community, though LGBTRC will never know the actual number of people involved in the LGBT community because some LGBTQ individuals simply will not come to the LGBTRC.

“As a whole, MSU has, particularly among students, a very welcoming climate. Overall, students have good experiences here,” Hurlbert said.

According to the LGBTRC website, there are about 13 organizations at MSU, including groups in the residential neighborhoods and other student organizations.

On Wednesday, the LGBTRC also held a welcome open house. Hurlbert said the purpose of this event also is to introduce students to the safe space the resource center always provides.

“The main thing is that we have this physical space that represents a lot to students ­­— this is their safe space,” Hurlbert said. “(It’s) their living room to come to for advice and support and to just be here; that’s huge.”

Hurlbert said that with the help of the presence of student groups and the LGBTRC, incoming freshman can have a “fantastic Spartan experience.”

“From high school, coming to college is a tremendous opportunity for folks to be who we are,” Hurlbert said. “Nobody decides whether or not they’re lesbian, bisexual, gay or transgender, but they decide what that is going to mean for them and their life. … So those people find that it’s not a legitimate choice to not allow yourself an authentic love, an authentic life.”

Share and discuss “Event welcomes various gender identities” on social media.