Friday, September 27, 2024

Gov. Snyder signs ban of synthetic marijuana substances

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder signed bills banning the sale, use and purchase of K2 and other synthetic drugs at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon at the George W. Romney Building, 111 S. Capitol Ave., in Lansing. Many other lawmakers have pushed for the ban, which will come into effect July 1, 2012. Samantha Radecki/The State News

Gov. Rick Snyder signed a series of bills into law Tuesday banning the use, sale or possession of synthetic marijuana substances including K2 and Spice, ending a long effort by legislators to take the substances off store shelves.

Snyder said the ban, which will take effect July 1, is long overdue and is a proactive attempt to stop similar drug problems before they grow out of hand.

The drugs, which are dried herbs or spices sprayed with chemicals, have become more popular in recent years with young people as an alternative to marijuana, but some law enforcement officials say the substances can be harmful.

“This is a situation that’s had tragic effects,” Snyder said. “We’ve lost young people because of this drug, so it’s about time we do something about it.”

Col. Kriste Kibbey Etue, director of the Michigan State Police, said she plans to begin visiting any stores in the area that are suspected of selling the synthetic drugs and make sure they are taken off of shelves.

She also said she will work quickly with other public safety officers to make sure businesses comply with the ban.

“I think you’ll find a quick response not only from state police but local law enforcement,” she said.

Kathi Braunlich, marketing and communications manager at Olin Health Center, said K2 is a dangerous substance and the effects can vary from person to person, but typically consist of memory loss and vomiting.

But Braunlich added despite K2 and Spice’s popularity a few years ago, its use on campus has declined recently as more people learn of the side effects.

“We’re not aware of anything in the last year on campus,” she said. “That doesn’t mean we know everything, but it appears to not be much of an issue for MSU students.”

Still, MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said the ban will help ensure the drugs do not cause more harm.

“It helps to keep our students and the public safe,” she said.

But Etue, who said the key to implementing the ban is educating people on what the drugs are, said because it is not a tobacco product, it is not as regulated as other addictive products.

“Anyone can purchase this,” she said. “A 10-year-old could literally walk into a gas station and purchase this.”

Employees at Krazy Katz, 317 E. Grand River Ave., which sells K2, declined to comment.

Share and discuss “Gov. Snyder signs ban of synthetic marijuana substances” on social media.