Saturday, October 26, 2024

ASMSU discusses extending library hours

Students share their opinions about a proposal to extend Main Library hours throughout the weekend.

Editor’s note: The info box for this article was changed to accurately reflect the Main Library’s hours of operation.

With the end of the semester and final exams approaching for many students, the MSU libraries likely will see an increase of people hitting the books.

But for some ASMSU representatives, the existing weekend study hours in the Main Library don’t provide students enough time to study.

ASMSU, MSU’s undergraduate student government, recently passed a bill to begin discussions with library staff regarding extending the Main Library’s weekend hours, with the potential for keeping the library open 24 hours a day.

The Main Library is open 24 hours Monday through Thursday with varying weekend hours.

ASMSU College of Business representative Ben Wernette, who introduced the bill to the General Assembly, said students often have more time to study during the weekend than they do during a busy week.

“I would argue that more students want to study at 8 p.m. on Saturday than 6 a.m. on Friday,” Wernette said.

Discussions to extend library hours last year — which ASMSU contributed to — took place during meetings of the University Committee for the Library, which deals with any library-related issues, said Clifford Haka, MSU director of libraries.

But Haka said this year, no ASMSU representatives have shown up to the committee’s meetings to his knowledge.

“There have been no discussions this year,” he said. “I don’t know exactly what they want.”

Wernette said ideally the library could be open 24 hours a day on weekends.

“It’s not an attack on the library,” Wernette said. “We’re merely saying we’re students and we’d appreciate it if the library could look into some unique ways of opening hours and utilizing the library’s budget toward it.”

Previous ASMSU discussion on the issue included concerns with the additional costs the library would take on if its hours were extended.

Haka said any additional costs in keeping library hours open would revolve around necessary staff being available to students, as its lights and facilities are handled by the Physical Plant.

For psychology senior Amanda Bond, who said the library is like a second home to her, extending library hours is a good idea.

But Bond said keeping the library open 24 hours on the weekends might not be cost-effective.

“I feel like nobody’s going to be there at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning,” she said. “(It should be open) just a little bit later because 6 p.m. is a little bit early for me at least.”

Share and discuss “ASMSU discusses extending library hours” on social media.