Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Quizzes bridge education gap

<p>Pearson</p>

Pearson

Michigan State University is by all accounts a big school. It has big sports teams, a big campus, a big reputation — and for many students, big classes.

Most classes at MSU do not actually take place in swollen lecture halls. The US News lists 21.3 percent of the university’s classes as having more than 50 students. More than that — nearly a quarter of classes — have fewer than 20. The student to faculty ratio is 16-to-1.

But for those of us in popular academic programs or enrolled in common introductory courses, big lectures with hundreds of students are impossible to escape.

Are they necessary? Yes. Are they effective? Mostly. Could they be better?

As one would imagine, this is a topic of much research and debate. Educators always are looking for ways to improve teaching and learning. More intimate settings such as small seminars and discussion-based classes afford easy opportunities for faculty-student interaction, feedback, and cooperative learning, but massive lectures make things difficult.

However, since by their very nature these classes affect a lot of students, they should be a primary focus for implementing improved teaching devices.

A study published last year by researchers at Purdue University showed being tested on what one is studying significantly enhances retention. The experimenters call this “retrieval practice,” and it involves answering questions or being quizzed on material as part of the process of studying. Even when contrasted with commonly praised methods such as concept mapping and repetition, retrieval practice emerged as the most effective learning activity.

Obviously, all classes need tests. The point here is not to simply throw more quizzes at students and expect that their performance will improve. Testing should be integrated into the actual learning process.

Here’s an example: In a fifty-minute lecture, the professor might cover material for the first two-thirds of class and then pass out a few questions for students to work through related to the concepts presented. Giving students an opportunity to reconstruct the information and apply it to real problems allows for immediate retrieval practice, which might improve retention.

Many professors already do this of course. However, a line must be drawn between, for example, something like a pop quiz or clicker questions — which often are timed and graded, acting more as an evaluation than a study tool — and actual retrieval practice exercises.

One way to bridge this gap would involve students working together in small groups. Studies have shown that group problem solving is beneficial for everyone in the group as long as they actively are participating: students who are struggling with a concept gain the help of their peers, and students who feel comfortable with the material learn from explaining it to others.

In our hypothetical lecture hall, students would have time to work through the questions on their own and with their group. Discussing the material, rather than just listening to the professor for the full time, or having to struggle through a quiz on their own, could vastly improve understanding and retention. Groups could approach the professor or teaching assistants with specific issues, rather than waiting for these issues to surface when students are studying on their own.

It’s easy to speak hypothetically, of course. In a real class, group work can devolve quite easily into group chat. Unmotivated students may drag down a team, and others may race ahead impatiently without waiting for the rest to catch up.

Adding an element such as taking an individual quiz at the end of class — something the Purdue researchers did after putting subjects through various studying techniques — might inject some gravity into a group discussion. Turning in group responses for points is another option.

There are a lot of ways to approach a revolution of the classroom environment, and many already are being implemented in courses here at MSU. What remains crucial is the importance of focused research on learning techniques and how to best serve the students of this university.

Educators should pay close attention to the discoveries that continue to be made in the way our brains retain information. The retrieval practice study has been around for a year now, and there were many before it and many after. If we are not seeing changes, then something is wrong.

The more we learn about ourselves, the better we can help ourselves learn.

Craig Pearson is a State News guest columnist and biochemistry junior. Reach him at pears53@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Quizzes bridge education gap” on social media.