Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Allow me to introduce myself

Growing up, I started talking at a very early age. My parents like to joke that I haven’t stopped since, and they’re probably right. It didn’t take much of that talking for them to realize I was very opinionated, either.

In elementary school, I always was managing to get myself involved in the dumbest arguments regarding everything under the sun, some of which I still swear by — Rocket Power remains high on my list of quality television shows.

I suppose it’s only fitting that now, many years later, I am the new opinion writer at The State News.

I’ve decided to take this first opportunity to share a few views that I have on various issues. Some will be reflected in my columns, some won’t, but I figured I’d give the readers a little background before diving into my opinion pieces.

I’m terrified that electronics will one day take the place of actual books. Mark my words: I never will succumb.

I have hope for my generation to not be the failures that many have pegged us as. I also don’t think a single generation is going to make or break the world as we know it.

As a tie-in with my last statement, it really gets under my skin when older people look at my generation with a “when I was your age, things were so much better” attitude. I have a theory: Things such as violence and crime were almost as bad “back then” as they are now, but news and media have developed to a point where coverage makes crimes seem worse.

I know all girls who grew up on Disney princess movies will agree with me on this one: Male chivalry isn’t dead. Or at least I really hope it isn’t. This might just be wishful thinking on my part, but we all have an optimist deep down somewhere inside us.

I believe the biggest flaw of our national government is its unwillingness to legalize gay marriage.

I believe Casey Anthony should be sitting in jail for the rest of her life, and I find it deeply concerning that she won’t be.

If the world ends in 2012, I’m going to be pissed that I spent the last year of my life in college.
I believe Facebook has made more negative impacts on our society than positive ones, especially when it comes to the under-30 crowd. To name one example, I think the rise of bullying in teens is in direct proportion to the rise of Facebook.

No matter how many times somebody tries to explain it to me, I will never understand the appeal of the greek community. I also understand that statement automatically made a solid number of people hate me.

I believe Gary Bettman needs to be fired as soon as possible. Can anybody make this happen? For the sake of the sport of hockey, please somebody make this happen.

I don’t understand the hatred behind the Kardashian family. If anybody can translate their looks and personalities into millions of dollars — $65 million in 2011 to be exact, according to E! Online — through the sales of television shows, books, boutiques, advertisements, fragrances and appearances, it isn’t being famous for “nothing.” It’s good business.

I believe if high-calorie foods were as good for us as fruits and vegetables are, they wouldn’t taste so delicious.

I believe many modern novels — especially the Twilight series — are lowering people’s criteria for what is considered to be quality literature.

The decline of America’s education system and the rise of other countries’ systems genuinely frightens me.

I believe sports ties together people from around the globe. I also think it will be the one form of entertainment that will make it through this technological revolution we’re going through. After all, it’s one of very few things that can grab society’s attention for more than two consecutive hours.

I believe cultured people are the most intelligent. In my short 19 years, I’ve found the smartest people I know are not the ones who attend the most prestigious universities or graduate with a 4.0 grade point average — they are the ones who explore others’ views and cultures with an intrigued and nonjudgemental mind.

With every one of my columns, I’m hoping to aid both the readers and myself in becoming more cultured individuals by opening doors to new ways to look at life and social issues.

I’m aiming for someone to read my column with a completely hard-nosed opinion on something and, by the end of reading what I have to say, understand what might be a completely different way of thinking about something. If I can make that happen, my work is done.

Alyssa Girardi is the State News opinion writer. Reach her at girardi5@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Allow me to introduce myself” on social media.