'The Addams Family' to make Wharton debut

Patrick D. Kennedy (Pugsley), Pippa Pearthree (Grandma), Sara Gettelfinger (Morticia), Douglas Sills (Gomez), Tom Corbeil (Lurch), Cortney Wolfson (Wednesday) and Blake Hammond (Uncle Fester) in THE ADDAMS FAMILY. (Photo by Jeremy Daniel)
Patrick D. Kennedy (Pugsley), Pippa Pearthree (Grandma), Sara Gettelfinger (Morticia), Douglas Sills (Gomez), Tom Corbeil (Lurch), Cortney Wolfson (Wednesday) and Blake Hammond (Uncle Fester) in THE ADDAMS FAMILY. (Photo by Jeremy Daniel) —
Photo by Photo courtesy of Wharton Center | The State News

The kooky characters and supernatural scenarios of a creepy American classic have come together once again to tell the tale of an unusual family.

The musical comedy “The Addams Family,” which focuses on the life of the family many remember from Charles Addams’ cartoons and the classic TV show, opens Tuesday night and will run until Sunday in Wharton Center’s Cobb Great Hall.

“It’s one of those shows with epic characters,” said Cortney Wolfson, who plays Wednesday Addams in the production. “Everyone is familiar with it, (and) it resonates really well because it’s so familiar.”

The plot revolves around Wolfson’s character, who is the daughter of Gomez and Morticia Addams, and her new love interest — a normal man who her parents have yet to meet. Everything changes for the family when Wednesday Addams’ parents host a dinner party for their daughter’s boyfriend, who they think is a less than ideal candidate for her.

“It’s every parent’s worst nightmare,” Wharton Center’s Public Relations Manager Bob Hoffman said. “The little girl’s becoming a woman and has fallen in love with a smart man with a respectable family. It’s a shocking development that turns the house upside down.”

Wolfson said although Wednesday Addams’ personality — which is dark and disturbed — is much different than her own, she does not find it difficult to portray the young girl on stage.

“(Off stage) I am very animated, and I always wear a lot of pink,” Wolfson said. “I love that it’s a bit of a challenge (and) a bit of a stray from my everyday life.”

Social science senior Jackie Moore said she remembers the original TV show “The Addams Family” — one she considers to be a classic among her generation — from her childhood when she would watch it often.

“I liked it,” she said. “I always thought it was funny and entertaining.”

Due to a lack of shows that caught her attention in the past, Moore said she never has seen a production at Wharton Center but would consider seeing “The Addams Family” while it is playing.

“I just never had the chance and never really knew about anything that I was too interested in,” she said. “I’ve seen the commercials (for ‘The Addams Family’), and it looks good, so I might go.”

Although the story is meant to be a comedy with out-of-the-ordinary characters and scenarios, Hoffman said it contains more serious implications as well.

“What’s great about it is it’s a way to really point out that it’s OK to be different,” he said. “It’s an important message that everyone is unique, and everyone is different and has something to offer.”

Hoffman said he believes this show is one college students easily will be able to relate to because of the lessons it aims to teach about tolerating different types of people, which is something he said students often must learn to do.

“It’s (about) social issues that we deal with in society all the time,” he said. “When you go to college, it’s really one of the first times you realize there’s different people out there. When I went to college all of a sudden a whole new world opened up to me.”

Moore said she feels the plot line is one she can connect with because her academic struggles have made it difficult for her to fit in.

“I relate to not fitting in academically,” she said. “I feel like it’s a hard school, and I really have to work hard while I feel like other people it’s not that hard for.”

Share and discuss “'The Addams Family' to make Wharton debut” on social media.