Sunday, April 28, 2024

Boss announces 2013 baseball recruiting class

Only a day after Tom Izzo announced his strongest recruiting class in years, MSU baseball coach Jake Boss Jr. made a significant splash on the recruiting trail as well.

Boss announced the 2013 recruiting class Thursday, which includes pitcher/infielder Justin Alleman (Holt, Mich.), outfielder Cam Gibson (Grosse Pointe, Mich.), pitcher Anthony Misiewicz (New Baltimore, Mich.) and infielders PJ Nowak (Plymouth, Mich.), Alex Rapanos (Midland, Mich.) and Ryan Richardson (South Elgin, Ill.).

“We’re very excited to add these six student-athletes and their families to the Spartan Baseball family,” Boss said in a statement to the athletics department. “Although we knew it would be a smaller class than the previous three years, this class addresses several needs we had and the quality of these student-athletes both on and off the field is outstanding.”

Alleman was a four-year letterwinner at Holt High School and currently is rated the No. 1 player in the state of Michigan by perfectgame.org.

Another touted recruit, Rapanos is rated the No. 4 player in the state of Michigan by perfectgame.org in addition to being ranked the No. 11 prospect for the class of 2012 by MichiganBaseballProspects.org

Gibson, the son of former Spartan baseball star and current Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson, had a .414 batting average with seven home runs and 40 RBIs as a junior at Grosse Pointe South High School.

Misiewicz is a talented, left-handed pitcher who set Anchor Bay High School’s single-season strikeout record with 126 last season. In addition, Misiewicz was a two-year starter at quarterback for Anchor Bay.

Nowak chose MSU after receiving offers from Creighton, Yale, Brown and Holy Cross. He was the team captain and MVP of a Detroit Catholic Central team that went 26-10 last season.

Richardson will come to MSU after transferring from Elgin Community College in Illinois. Prior to that, Richardson redshirted for Nebraska in 2010-11 after suffering a shoulder injury prior to the season.

The Spartans are coming off their first Big Ten championship since 1979 and will look to tout a strong roster down the road.

Share and discuss “Boss announces 2013 baseball recruiting class” on social media.