Saturday, September 21, 2024

Not all oppose CHM expansion

I’m writing in strong opposition of the ongoing series regarding MSU’s College of Human Medicine. It is important to know that feelings displayed in the articles toward the college are not ubiquitous and really represent a small minority of college associates.

Although I recognize the importance and privilege you have to essentially write whatever you please, I object to the nature of these stories and the negative reputation they create toward our college. I am further bothered by the fact that student fees are used to create these publications.

I’d like to reiterate support for Dean Marsha Rappley and the college administration. They have done an amazing job nearly doubling our class size in just a few years. The current structure of the college is in line with the health care and medical education models suggested by several experts including President Barack Obama’s administration. Community-based medical colleges have the opportunity to spread resources to multiple communities where they can provide the greatest good to the greatest number.

Our college has seven community campuses. These community campuses provide expert faculty physicians not only to Lansing and Grand Rapids but also to many parts of Michigan including the Upper Peninsula.

Although some college associates might be upset with the apparent decreased presence in Lansing, it’s important to recognize that the same number of students will be there each year that there have been in the past. It should be noted that it’s not physically possible to accommodate the entire class of 200 in Grand Rapids.

Removal of the college’s presence in East Lansing as a whole would necessarily result in a decrease in the number of students in each class. It’s also important to note that the same demand for care and consequently the same opportunity for clinical education will be in Lansing as there always has been, and lastly, the integration with the MSU scientific community will surely remain an integral part of the college.

The opportunity for the college to expand to Grand Rapids is tantamount. The privilege to partner with institutions such as the Van Andel Institute, Spectrum Health Systems and St. Mary’s Health Care is unparalleled for the College of Human Medicine. These opportunities will permit the college to educate even better physicians to serve the people of Michigan. The decision to expand to include Grand Rapids as a preclinical campus was probably quite clear to our administration.

I would encourage you to ensure the complete accuracy of your stories and be certain they do not mislead any of your readership — as many CHM students feel they currently do.

Bradley Burmeister, CHM medical student

Share and discuss “Not all oppose CHM expansion” on social media.