Monday, July 1, 2024

Welcome back to ‘Spartan Ville’

<p>Thabet</p>

Thabet

My name is Omar Thabet, and I am a journalism sophomore. This will be my second year writing opinion columns for The State News. I always like to be creative with my writings, so I hope you enjoy my first column, a poem welcoming back all the students to the MSU campus.

Welcome back students to the town I like to call “Spartan Ville,”
The thought of a new school year beginning always sends my body a chill,

So many good days ahead of us I just can’t wait for the thrills,
That when I wrote this poem I found it hard to sit still,

I hope everyone enjoyed their summers and everything went great,
Probably going out to the beaches every day and always staying up late,

But when August came around you knew it was time for business,
Besides school is good for you like a membership to Bally Total Fitness,

This is when the excitement really starts, just when the school year is beginning, We are welcomed to our Spartan football team that is ready to be winning,

Tailgating with your friends and family followed by a rowdy student section all will be vital, For the 2010 Big Ten champions to defend their title,

But with living in Michigan we also have the privilege to watch our professional teams, I promise a revamped Lions team will have the cities of Detroit to East Lansing rocking,

And the last month of baseball only means it’s time for the pennant race, So we all need to root for our Detroit Tigers team to win the division they’re trying to chase,

With top Cy Young candidate Justin Verlander throwing from our pitcher’s mound, I have a gut feeling that when October comes, our baseball team will be playoff bound,

But let’s move it back to our campus and talk about all the activities and clubs you can join, So many organizations you can belong to that you make your decisions only by flipping a coin,

And Sparty parties on the weekends seem to relieve a lot of school stress, I mean this is MSU in the first place … so we are known to be the best,

And meeting new and different people along the way is all part of the program, If you’re not from this campus then that’s something you just don’t know, man,

If you’re black, white, brown, pink or green you’re still my bro, man, Just always be positive and you will see that your relationships can only grow man,

But after everything I just said I will now leave you with the most important thing, Which is the grade-A education that the school MSU brings,

Even though my summer was exciting I wanted more responsibility in my life, That’s why I can’t live without an education like a 40-year-old male can’t live without his wife,

So before you go on thinking college is all about just having a blast, Remember it’s only more fun when you’re taking care of your work in the class,

So let this be a lesson learned to all of you, please stay on track,
And to all my fellow students and professors … welcome back!

Omar Thabet is a State News guest columnist. Reach him at thabetom@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Welcome back to ‘Spartan Ville’” on social media.