Sunday, May 12, 2024

Movie remakes worth reflection

<p>Ryan</p>

Ryan

With the premiere of “Footloose” approaching and dozens of movie remakes at the box office in the past few years, I can’t help but notice that Hollywood has been taking lessons from the television industry recently — movie producers have resorted to reruns.

I’m talking about movies such as “Batman,” “Halloween” and soon-to-be-released “Footloose.”

The remakes of some of these films are thoroughly predictable. Yet, like many die-hard fans, I still find myself shelling out about $10 to see a copycat. But why?

If you’re like me, you see the remakes because you like the original movie and wonder how it ever could be remade.

But most of the time, as the credits begin to roll, I end up leaving the theater feeling disappointed.

Take the legendary movies “Halloween” and “Friday the 13th,” which first were produced more than 30 years ago. Both of these horror movies have been favorites of mine since I first saw them. They were innovative in the world of horror movies because, when they were released, they were terrifying without showing blood and gore — a revolutionary concept that left many terrifying scenes to the viewer’s imagination.

The remakes of these horror movies, released in the last 10 years, were just like the original films but with more graphic murder and raunchy sex scenes, taking away the mystique and imaginative tone of the original films. The new movies are cliché, having no more impact than the new slasher flicks of our generation.

Don’t get me wrong — I don’t hate every remake I see. Movies, such as “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and “The Karate Kid,” both of which had completely different takes on the plots of the original films, were engaging and enjoyable.

Movie sequels centered around comic-book characters surprisingly have been successful.

Each time I see a new Batman film, I fall more and more in love with the story line. The allure of updated costumes, camera angles and special effects makes each movie even more intense than the one before.

In these Batman movies, both the actors and the story line of the films change, which keeps the collection from becoming overrated.

But unlike such sequels, most remakes are not as successful. It’s as if the movie industry is out of new ideas. Instead of coming up with one-of-a-kind story lines, producers have taken to remaking films and depending on an already large fan base and a plot that has proven to be popular.

When I am watching these movies, I notice the only differences between the new films and the original films are the time periods in which they are set and the actors. I can’t help but spend my time comparing. This makes it difficult to appreciate the movie on the screen in front of me. I find myself missing the unique actors, costumes and time period of the original films.

Still, each time I first see the names of my favorite classic movies on the wall by a ticket booth, it’s exciting. No matter how terrible the reviews of the movie are or how many people tell me, “It’s just like the original movie, but with a different cast,” my curiosity gets the best of me. I feel obligated to buy a ticket.

As the Oct. 14 release date for “Footloose” approaches, I wonder what will the remake of the classic dance movie bring? There is much hype surrounding the movie.

“Footloose is one of the best dance movies,” a friend said to me. “I’ll see it even if the reviews are terrible.”

I completely agree with her. The trailers for the film make me optimistic that the film will be similar to the original but with a modern dancing twist.

It seems sure to include fun, romance and a liberating message about embracing change.

Remaking masterpieces often is messy. But as an avid movie watcher, I just can’t resist the chance that a remake might be a success. I will continue to see movie remakes, regardless of the reviews.

Share and discuss “Movie remakes worth reflection” on social media.