Monday, October 21, 2024

Football opener sees less crime than usual

Although droves of Spartan fans flooded the streets of East Lansing Friday before and after the football home opener, crimes and calls for service were fewer than that of a normal football weekend, officials said.

Exact numbers were not available at press time because of the holiday weekend.

East Lansing police Sgt. Mark VandeWouwer attributes the drop in arrests and calls for service to the extended Labor Day weekend, as many students left town following the game.

“Generally (on) Labor Day weekend, a lot of people go home to get the things they forgot,” he said.

MSU police Sgt. Shaun Mills said there were fewer problems on campus as well, because of the holiday weekend.

Fire Marshal Bob Pratt said there have been busier football weekends, but most of the calls the East Lansing Fire Department received were related to the game, and many were exacerbated by the heat.

There were several incapacitated individuals and a number of maliciously-pulled fire alarms, but the only fire the department responded to was a trash can fire started near a tailgate, he said.

“A lot of times, people who are tailgating will put hot coals in a trash can, which is not an intelligent thing to do,” Pratt said.

Several home invasions were reported during the weekend. Home invasions and larcenies are common during breaks and holiday weekends because many students leave their rental houses and apartments.

To counter this, the East Lansing Police Department will monitor rental districts more closely and offer vacation checks for residents who inform the department they are leaving for an extended period, VandeWouwer said.

For arrest, response and citation statistics from this weekend, see the “From the Blotter” blog on statenews.com Tuesday evening.

Share and discuss “Football opener sees less crime than usual” on social media.