Monday, October 21, 2024

Face time with Seth Mitchell

As a former MSU linebacker, Seth Mitchell likes to hit. In the starting lineup as sophomore in 2003, Mitchell recorded 103 tackles. But injuries ended his career before the 2005 season. Now, he’s turned his collegiate football career into a professional boxing career. As a pro, Mitchell has compiled a 22-0-1 record, complete with 16 knockouts. His next fight, 10:30 p.m. Friday in Las Vegas, will see the former Spartan against Hector Ferreyro.
— Compiled by Pat Evans

State News: How was your time at MSU?
Seth Mitchell: My time at Michigan State was great. You know, I know it’s a cliche, a lot of people say, ‘College was the best years of my life.” But you know that was truly my case. Even though I had injuries to my knee playing football, I wouldn’t trade my five years at Michigan State for anything. I had a blast there. Great campus, football team was great, the people I met at State are just amazing, I met my wife there. My time in East Lansing was great.

SN: Advice for freshmen?
SM: I would just tell freshman to just enjoy. You’re there for a particular reason, and that’s to get your education while at the same time enjoy your time. You’re going to have fun. Have all the fun that you can but don’t lose sight of why you’re there — and that’s to get your education and grow as a student, grow as person and to leave that state of being a young man, woman to an adult. Take care of your business but have fun on the ride.

SN: How did you get into boxing?
SM: On a whim, I was watching a clip of Tom Zbikowski’s pro debut at Madison Square Garden. He inspired me with his success to get into boxing. So, I was inspired by a Notre Dame football player.

SN: How does it feel to jump in and have success?
SM: It wasn’t anything that surprised me. This is my gift, and this is my talent that I’ve been blessed with, and I’m just taking full advantage of it. But when I decided to box, I believed I would have this success before I even stepped into the ring. That’s the type of person I am — the belief that I have and the belief that I have in myself. And it doesn’t surprise me that I’m having success. I just want to continue to work hard.

SN: How’s the training schedule?
SM: It was very grueling to get started. But just like anything, once your body gets used to the regiment, you have to change up and tweak things so you don’t get complacent and your muscles won’t get used to things. For me, it’s a lot of running, four or five miles every other day. I do 500-700 sit-ups a day. Me and my trainer will tweak the training every day we get closer to the fight. But I spend five days a week training twice a day and running on Saturdays for the last 6-8 weeks before the fight. Eating habit is just eating really healthy. Not a lot of fried foods. A lot of protein. Cutting back on the carbs. Gotta get ripped and everything.

SN: What’s it like the morning after?
SM: It feels good — especially after you go out and take care of business. It’s like a surreal moment. My high, if I fight on a Saturday, lasts about a whole week; it feels good. Because unlike football, you play, and then you have to turn around and practice for the next week. Boxing you blow into training for 6-8 weeks before a fight. You’re breaking your body down for one moment, and then you might not have another fight for another two or three months. So to go in there and take care of business after all that hard work, it definitely feels good.

SN: How long will you keep boxing? And any plans after that?
SM: I would like to keep boxing and get out at 35, another five and a half years. Pretty much just go with the flow. I’m just trying to let boxing be a platform of future endeavors.

SN: Anything Else?
SM: Just tell all the Spartans I say, ‘Go Green, Go White.”

Share and discuss “Face time with Seth Mitchell” on social media.