Saturday, September 21, 2024

Consider students in energy decision

I was under the impression a public institution such as MSU would be a place of forward thinking, and the administration would take my opinion into account to make decisions that represent the greater good of the Spartan community. I have been a part of MSU Greenpeace and watched as the Energy Transition Steering Committee disregarded the opinions of the two student representatives on the committee. The committee is working with the Office of Sustainability, which is working toward renewable energy on campus within 100 years or less.

Although 100 percent renewable energy on campus is our goal, 100 years is a catastrophic time line, given the trends of climate change. A transition to 100 percent renewable energy in a much shorter time period is anything but impossible. Researchers have published a report saying the entire world could make this transition in 20-40 years. Surely a university could do it much quicker! I hope the Board of Trustees change the direction of the Steering Committee to develop an aggressive energy plan. This would mean the university would be helping to reduce environmental and social injustices. Considering all of the harms coal does to our community, I do not understand why the administration is refusing to be more aggressive with a transition to energy sources that would eliminate environmental and health risks.

Given the lack of progress thus far, I know the transition to renewable energy is not happening as quickly as it needs to according to the trends of climate change and, most importantly, according to the health risks and demands of the students. Students should be heard. Last year ASMSU, which represents all undergraduate students, passed a resolution calling for the university to quit coal and begin the transition. If the board were to point the committee in a more aggressive direction toward transitioning to 100 percent renewable energy as soon as possible, MSU would gain my respect once more as a forward-thinking and responsible establishment.

Natalie Davenport, environmental biology and zoology sophomore

Share and discuss “Consider students in energy decision” on social media.