Saturday, October 26, 2024

Legislative intern gains valuable understanding

<p>Mitchell Rivard</p>

Mitchell Rivard

When considering applicants for the Victory Congressional Internship program — a new leadership program that gives lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender college students a chance at a Washington, D.C., internship — Gay & Lesbian Leadership Institute, or GLLI, Program Director Samir Luther said he and his fellow reviewers did not limit their acceptance only to students with aspirations of working in public office.

They looked for students with an appetite for leadership, he said, and MSU social relations and policy senior Mitchell Rivard demonstrated that hunger.

“It’s rare to find young people who already have so much experience while they’re still in college,” Luther said. “I know he is going to continue to explore and find ways to contribute to the community and that’s exciting to see.”

Thursday is Rivard’s last day working as an intern in the press office for U.S. House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., someone who Rivard said he has respected for a long time.

Rivard was given the chance to work for eight weeks as an intern as a part of the GLLI’s Victory Congressional Internship program. He was one of six college students selected from about 500 applicants nationwide to take part in a leadership program providing students with summer internships on Capitol Hill, as well as housing and transportation during their stay.

Luther said GLLI is devoted to building and supporting a diverse network of LGBT public leaders because it’s clear having such leaders working in government makes a difference.

“Having openly LGBT people in office really changes the conversation around LGBT issues in an open way,” he said.

As a press intern, Rivard helped set up public events and press conferences, manage the media and complete office work.

“Being openly gay, it’s been a wonderful experience being here in terms of adding diversity to our offices,” Rivard said.

James Madison College associate professor Louise Jezierski, who has taught Rivard in multiple classes during the last few years and recommended him to program officials, said Rivard is intelligent, articulate and a born leader.

“He’s got a great story to tell about who he is,” she said. “He’s been quite (prominent) on campus and … local involvement translates into national recognition.”

On campus, Rivard served as president of the MSU College Democrats. Last year, he also worked as a communications assistant for then-Gov. Jennifer Granholm, taking time off from school for the job.

While in Washington, D.C., Rivard had the opportunity to meet both national political figures, such as special assistant to the president Elizabeth Warren, and influential world leaders, including the Dalai Lama.

“There have been so many great once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that I’m grateful for,” Rivard said.

Although it has been exhausting at times — many days he is in the office from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. — Rivard said the experience has given him a deeper understanding of the national political process.

“You sometimes get frustrated with the pace of government,” he said. “Things seem like they’re moving so slow.”

But this internship has given him patience because he has realized the time it takes to create and institute federal legislation.

Rivard said this internship allowed him to expand, enhance and refine his skills. He also solidified in his mind he one day would like to work in the fields of political communications or strategy.

A Washington, D.C., internship such as Rivard’s is something Jezierski said all MSU students should work to attain. Whether students are interested in humanities, sciences, social sciences, businesses
or other areas, Jezierski said they would benefit from involvement with social issues such as health, housing and poverty.

“It gives you a very holistic view on progress — how advancements are made,” she said.

Share and discuss “Legislative intern gains valuable understanding” on social media.