Spartans beat Purdue, claim sole possession of first place

In a weekend showdown between two teams fighting for the top spot in the Big Ten, MSU came out swinging on Friday against Purdue.

The Spartans (28-14 overall, 11-5 Big Ten) challenged the Purdue pitching staff with 13 hits and downed the Boilermakers, 11-4.

Senior first baseman Jeff Holm led the way for the Spartans with two home runs and six RBIs on the day. Holm currently is ranked second in the Big Ten in hitting and slugging — .371 and .579, respectively.

Kurt Wunderlich continued his strong season and turned in a solid pitching performance for the Spartans. Wunderlich, a senior pitcher, threw six innings for the Spartans while surrendering six hits to improve his season record to 8-1.

Sophomore second baseman Ryan Jones added another hit on Friday to extend his hitting streak to a school-record 31 games. The streak is currently the longest such streak in Division I.

The Spartans will continue their pursuit for sole possession of first place against Purdue at 1:05 p.m. on Saturday at McLane Baseball Stadium.

Share and discuss “Spartans beat Purdue, claim sole possession of first place” on social media.