Monday, October 7, 2024

Jazz orchestras, choirs celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. at concert

More than 40 years have passed since Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Tennessee, but to Kurt Trowbridge, the civil rights leader’s message still is alive and well today.

“Times have changed, but there’s still prejudice and discrimination against African Americans,” Trowbridge said. “I think there’s still that message of equality that remains important.”

Trowbridge, a freshman in the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities, played trombone in the 31st annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemorative Celebration Sunday in Wharton Center’s Pasant Theatre. The show featured performances by Jazz Orchestra I, II and III as well as the MSU Children’s Choir and the Earl Nelson Singers.

Rodney Whitaker, director of jazz studies and producer of the event, said the concert not only was meant to pay tribute to King but to make those listening receive his message in today’s world.

“It’s a celebration. But, it’s also thought-provoking, and it’s something to challenge us — all of us — as individuals,” Whitaker said. “We found words in his speeches that would be poignant today.”

Although MSU formally has honored King for 31 years, the College of Music began its commemorative celebration 11 years ago. Whitaker, who has organized the College of Music event since its inception, said it can be difficult coming up with original pieces for the performance every year.

“It takes research. You have to find music and new words that will touch folks,” Whitaker said. “But it’s a challenge.”

Christian Robinson, a music education junior who played trumpet Sunday, said the audience could listen to a variety of different music stylings during the concert.

“A lot of the (music) is real dark and real moody — almost mysterious sounding,” Robinson said. “There are definitely some pieces that sound more like they’re celebrating his life as well. But a lot of the music we’re playing tonight is showing the troubles and what he had to deal with up until his assassination.”

Robinson said the orchestras rehearsed for the event about five hours a day prior to the event — a significant increase in practice time from the typical four hours a week to which the orchestra is accustomed.

“This past week, we had a lot of extra rehearsals, usually until 10 o’clock each night,” Robinson said. “We’d be rehearsing all these charts, so we kind of hit the ground running this semester with all these rehearsals. But, it really came together nicely.”

Whitaker said, beyond the demands of rehearsing, the event was about creating music which described King’s message of peace and equality.

“This show … is really about highlighting the words of Martin Luther King Jr. along with music that complements his vision and dreams,” Whitaker said.

Share and discuss “Jazz orchestras, choirs celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. at concert” on social media.