Friday, October 25, 2024

ASMSU discusses next E.L. police chief

East Lansing City Manager Ted Staton met with ASMSU members Thursday night to get feedback about qualities they would like to see in the next police chief.

“We want to be sure we touch enough bases on what people expect in the new chief,” Staton said.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

Former East Lansing police Chief Tom Wibert stepped down from the position Nov. 1 to take a new job as the police chief of New Braunfels, Texas. Interim police Chief Juli Liebler will hold the position until a new police chief is selected.

Staton has met with other groups across campus, including the University Student Commission and Celebrations Committee. He said he plans to finish receiving input Monday before compiling a profile for the position and advertising it nationally.

Representatives emphasized the need for a chief who understands the dynamics of a college town and won’t have a “those darn kids” attitude.

Ann Recke, goals oversight committee chair, said she thinks it’s important the new chief focuses on the bigger picture, especially since MSU is a large university. She said students will party, but the police shouldn’t crack down too much on students who are keeping safety a priority.

“(They need) to take a bigger scope and bigger picture and get people who are really going to harm themselves or someone else, rather than someone just trying to have safe fun,” Recke said.

Zach Taylor, Academic Assembly internal vice chairman, said it would be beneficial for the police chief to meet students sooner rather than later. He also suggested the new chief attend summer freshman orientations to give students an overview about what is acceptable and what’s not in East Lansing.

“Before they even get here, they’ll have kind of a familiarity with the police,” Taylor said.

Other representatives stated the importance of gaining a chief who understands the importance of diversity and inclusion.
Staton said a panel of six to eight members will serve as a screening committee for the new chief and an ASMSU member will be among them.

Student Assembly external vice chairman Steve Marino said he is thrilled the city is including students in on the selection process.
“When Chief Wibert retired, it rippled through the entire community,” he said.

Student Assembly’s Policy Committee also passed a bill during the meeting to amend the ASMSU Constitution to reflect its recent filing for nonprofit status.

Student Assembly chairman Chris Schotten said the group is inserting the language the Internal Revenue Service requires into the constitution. ASMSU is not becoming incorporated, he said.

“Nothing is being changed,” Schotten said. “We added to what’s already in the constitution.”

The committee also passed a bill to streamline the group’s financial practices for revenues generated other than MSU student tax dollars, including from tailgate ticket sales.

Several ASMSU members also said they plan on handing out hot chocolate at about 4 p.m. on the Sunday before finals week to help connect with their constituents.

“It’s our way of saying, ‘Good luck on finals,’” said Emmanuel Williams, humanites-pre-law freshman and representative of the College of Arts and Letters.

Staff writer Laura Fosmire contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “ASMSU discusses next E.L. police chief ” on social media.