Friday, October 25, 2024

Council discusses cuts, state funding

Future possibilities for higher education funding from the new Michigan Legislature and executive branch and academic program changes were discussed at Tuesday’s Academic Council meeting.

President Lou Anna K. Simon announced administrators and MSU experts are working in various facets in the transition of newly elected government officials and are evaluating what their decisions might mean for the university. As new officials look to examine the state budget, Simon reminded the council that higher education spending is discretionary in state finances.

“One of the issues will be how we demonstrate the value of funds invested in any aspect of government, which will include the university,” Simon said. “I do think Michigan State has a pretty strong story in that regard. We can use our team approach to have that story be told in a very positive way.”

Carol Parker, chairwoman of the University Committee on Curriculum, announced the committee had considered 28 program proposals and 63 course proposals throughout the past month. As a result, Parker said 14 program changes occurred, including the creation of 10 new programs and the deletion of four.

A bachelor of science in agriscience, a bachelor of arts in deaf education, a specialization in public health and a master’s degree in interdisciplinary studies in social science and global applications were eliminated from the university after a length of moratorium for low interest, Parker said.

The agriscience degree has been replaced with a bachelor of science in environmental studies and agriscience, she said.

Share and discuss “ Council discusses cuts, state funding” on social media.