Friday, October 25, 2024

Spartan Remix showcases student groups

Spartan Remix took place Thursday at the MSU Union. The event, aimed at promoting student groups and diversity, hosted booths for a variety of student groups. A large draw of this event was the wide array of activities, including palm reading, a photobooth and free bowling & billiards.

Crowds of students packed the MSU Union on Thursday night as more than 60 student groups came out to show their cultural uniqueness at the Spartan Remix Welcome Reception.

More than 200 MSU students and faculty came to the event, visiting the brightly decorated booths set up in the ballroom and parlors upstairs, or just enjoying the free events and giveaways and raffle for an iPad.

Genomics and molecular genetics junior Brandon Tuckey was there to talk to people about the Alliance of Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgender and Straight Ally Students.

Hosted by MSU students for new and returning students, faculty and staff, Spartan Remix allows campus groups to promote their own cultural pride by letting students set up booths showcasing their own unique group. Before Spartan Remix, each of the Council of Racial/Ethnic Student groups held separate welcome receptions at the beginning of the year.

Human biology junior Shamon Jeter didn’t know about Spartan Remix until her friend, a member of the Office of Cultural and Academic Transitions, told her about the event and took her along.

“I’m amazed at the turn out,” Jeter said. “It’s definitely a good place to meet a ton of new people and see all the groups we have on campus.”

Setting up a table at Spartan Remix for the first time, premedical senior and vice president of the fraternity Delta Lambda Phi, Ryan Render said he is excited to get the word out there that there is a gay fraternity on campus.

“Letting the LBGT community know that there is a gay fraternity, somewhere you can go to be at home and welcome in the greek community and not be the token gay member, it’s just amazing we can do that,” Render said.

A member of Delta Lambda Phi for two years, Render said the group has been on campus for the two years he’s been in the fraternity, but this is the first time they have been given a chance to let others know they exist.
“It’s amazing there’s an event like this that lets groups show everyone who they are and what they represent,” Render said. “Any publicity is good publicity.”

Share and discuss “Spartan Remix showcases student groups” on social media.