Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Running backs look to break century mark this season

Then-freshman running back Larry Caper escapes tackles from the Michigan defense and rushes into the endzone for the game-winning touchdown in overtime on Oct. 3, 2009, in the 26-20 victory over U-M at Spartan Stadium. Caper ended the game with 39 rushing yards and two touchdowns.

Sophomore running backs Larry Caper and Edwin Baker established themselves as MSU’s premier backs midway through last season. As true freshmen, they were tops on the team in rushing yards and attempts and combined to start in six of the Spartans’ final eight games.

Although those are pretty impressive accomplishments for a pair of freshmen backs, there is one goal neither of them was able to achieve, which still bothers them as they prepare for 2010.

“We couldn’t break that 100-yard mark, and that was very frustrating,” Baker said of not being able to run for more than 100 yards in a game last season. “As a back that’s what you strive for. You strive to get 100-plus yards per game.”

Both Caper and Baker came close to hitting the century mark on separate occasions last season, but never could get over the hump. Against Illinois in week six, Caper posted 95 yards on 16 carries in a winning effort. And in the 2010 Valero Alamo Bowl against Texas Tech, Baker finished with 97 yards.

Former MSU running back Ashton Leggett did rush for 110 yards against Western Michigan, but no longer is with the team after transferring to Illinois State.

Rushing for 100 yards alone won’t guarantee a win for MSU in any football game, but as Baker pointed out, it can never hurt.

“Our goal is to get 100 yards every game this season,” Baker said. “More touchdowns are going to come out of that, and we got to put points on the board to win games.”

To achieve the goals Baker and Caper have set for themselves, they, like any other smart running backs, know it all starts up front with the offensive line.

Similarly, the offensive linemen know the blame largely falls on them if the running game struggles, which makes the lack of a 100-yard rusher last season frustrating for them as well.

“It’s definitely a thing of pride, something we pride ourselves on when that happens,” junior guard Joel Foreman said. “Last year, we had a lot of guys in and out, but it’s something we strive for, something we have as a goal to have a guy over 100 yards and actually multiple guys over 100.”

Any difficulties for the offensive line last season could be attributed in part to a lack of a consistent starting group, especially early in the season, as the Spartans had four different lineups in the first four weeks.

This season, though, the first-string offensive line has been established already before the first game, which Foreman said could make a big difference.

“Having the line set, that’s very important to developing chemistry,” Foreman said. “We’re coming together as a unit and have good continuity as a unit.”

Heading into the first game of the season against Western Michigan on Saturday at Spartan Stadium (noon, ESPN2), Caper and Baker both are listed at the top of the depth chart and are the likely candidates to break the 100-yard barrier this season.

But they will have some help, especially from freshman running back Le’Veon Bell, who has impressed coaches and teammates all spring and fall.

“You don’t have to spend much time out on that field to see that Le’Veon Bell is an outstanding football player,” head coach Mark Dantonio said. “He’ll show up on some special teams, but he will also be in there as our tailback and could be a contributor.”

Dantonio said another freshman back, Nick Hill, also might receive some playing time behind the other three, however, the majority of the load will fall on the incumbents — Baker and Caper.

And after a full season and offseason under his belt, Baker said he is ready to take the burden.

“I feel extremely comfortable,” Baker said. “I feel I’m a step above where I was last year, I’m going to come out ready to go, and it’s going to be a good year for me and all of us.”

Share and discuss “Running backs look to break century mark this season” on social media.