Friday, October 25, 2024

ASMSU meets to discuss fall issues

Advocating for increased higher education funding will be one of the ASMSU Academic Assembly’s main focuses as the group heads into the fall semester.

The assembly held its first meeting Tuesday to discuss issues it will be working on,
including medical amnesty and parking issues.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

Several representatives will head to the state Capitol building in Lansing for a state advocacy trip on Sept. 13-17 to lobby for issues important to MSU students.

“We’re going to discuss higher education funding, rally against a zero percent change in the (higher education) budget, talk about legislation dealing with medical amnesty and the parking
legislation that’s going to affect students,” said Mike Lipphardt, Academic Assembly’s director of university budgets and educational policy.

Standing committees will be in session beginning next week.

During the meeting, the assembly approved a bill to increase the number of hours the chairperson must work during the summer from 12 to 20 each week, making the amount consistent with the number of hours required for fall and spring semesters.

“The summer is one of the most important times, in my opinion, for the year, as far as setting up meetings and getting things rolling,” Internal Vice Chairperson Zach Taylor said.

The bill met no opposition.

Taylor also has been working on a bill for students who have been victims of sexual assault and relationship violence.

“If you need stitches or extended medical care and you apply for a grant through the state of Michigan to help cover it, that amount will be deducted through your financial aid,” Taylor said, adding money available from state grants has dwindled in light of the economic downturn.

The bill would allow ASMSU to advocate for financial aid regulation for sexual assault and relationship violence.

Taylor hopes the bill will be passed at the assembly’s meeting next weekend.

“On top of the emotional and physical costs you have to deal with as a victim of sexual assault, you have to deal with the financial costs,” Taylor said.

“And then on top of that, if you do receive aid from the state, it’s taken out of your funding
for school.”

Assembly Chairperson Justin Epstein also met with the organization’s steering committee to discuss mandatory health insurance, which will be required for MSU students beginning in 2011, he said.

“It was just being brought to the steering committee in order to figure out the best way to spread the word to those that are already students,” Epstein said.

“We don’t want those who don’t have insurance to
be blindsided.”

ASMSU’s Student Assembly will hold elections for its new chairperson 7 p.m., Thursday in 328 Student Services.

Share and discuss “ASMSU meets to discuss fall issues ” on social media.