Friday, October 25, 2024

Archery tournament promotes safety, fun

Ovid resident Josh Peckens, 12, practices shooting at pop-up and running 3D targets Saturday afternoon at the X-Factor Archery Tournament and Open Shoot. Held at Demmer Shooting Sports Education and Training Center, 3365 E. Jolly Rd., in Lansing, the tournament open to all ages gave participants the opportunity to shoot to win a variety of bows as well as other archery essentials.

The two-day X-Factor Archery Tournament and Open Shoot, hosted at the MSU Demmer Shooting Sports, Education and Training Center, kicked off Saturday, with contestants trying to strike several moving targets and win various prizes.

Arrows flew Saturday and Sunday as children and adults lined up to try shooting at moving, 3-D animal targets. The highest score won a Mathews Mission Bow — a $500 value — and second place took home a Parker Crossbow — a $300 value.

The idea for the tournament came from an unexpected place, said Glen Bennett, the lead archery instructor at the shooting center.

“We saw it on YouTube, of all things, and we thought it was cool and appropriate for the type of atmosphere we have here,” Bennett said. “It combines a little bit of rock and roll with archery.”

Bennett said about 21 contests attempted to hit the target animals in what would be the heart and lung areas. The competitors took 10 shots and were awarded five points for hitting the target and 10 for hitting it in the kill area.

The X-Factor Tournament was one of the first of its kind in Michigan, Bennett said.

“It’s new to the Michigan area and not many people have seen it before, so we are trying to introduce new things,” he said. “At the Demmer Center we are on the cutting edge of technology. We want people to come out have a good, fun and safe time.”

Representatives of the Demmer Center were at the tournament promoting safety and vying for exposure.

“If it’s something that you never tried before and you are skeptical about trying something ballistic or archery and if you want professional instruction, this would be the premier facility to learn how to do it safely and correctly,” Bennett said.

Bill Kordenbrock, a Williamstown Township, Mich., resident, said his sons inspired him about two years ago to start shooting.

“Archery is a great sport,” Bill Kordenbrock said. “We come out every week and it’s great quality time with each other. My sons wanted to get into shooting. They got interested and then got me interested. Then we started coming out to the Demmer Center for a father and son league.”

Kordenbrock’s 12-year-old son, Will, said he shot a 74 out of 100 and was in at least fourth place. With his dad, Will Kordenbrock said he has learned some of the most important shooting techniques at the Demmer Center.

“In two years, I have learned that you really just need to pay attention to your shot and know what you need to do instead of over-thinking it or you will have a result that you don’t want.” Will Kordenbrock said.

Although Will Kordenbrock was shooting well, his dad said he was not having as much success as his son, but still loved participating in the event.

“It’s absolutely fantastic,” Bill Kordenbrock said. “What MSU has done with this is just absolutely phenomenal.”

Share and discuss “Archery tournament promotes safety, fun” on social media.