Spartans, Lugnuts gear up for 4th annual exhibition

For a game that doesn’t count toward its record, Wednesday’s game is about as exciting as they come for the MSU baseball team.

The Spartans will make the short journey down Michigan Avenue to Cooley Law School Stadium to take on the Lansing Lugnuts in the fourth annual Crosstown Showdown. First pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m.

The last two Crosstown Showdowns have featured massive fan turnouts. In 2008, the game drew a record 12,862 fans to Oldsmobile Park. And last season, that record was broken when 12,992 fans came out to watch the exhibition.

The large turnouts in the past two years might be attributed to the games being played on Thursday — thus allowing fans to enjoy the Thirsty Thursday promotion.

Although this year’s game will be on a Wednesday, Cooley Law School Stadium still is expecting a large turnout of both MSU and Lugnuts fans. Wednesday’s game will be the Lugnuts’ first home game of the season.

“We are really excited,” MSU head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “It’s going to be a fun night. We get to play in a beautiful stadium against a quality organization with a good crowd there. It’s a great event and it’s going to be fun.”

Along with last year’s record-setting attendance, the Spartans also earned their first win in three attempts against the Lugnuts. After falling 4-3 in 2007 and 4-2 in 2008, MSU posted a dominating 12-2 win over the Lugnuts last season.

In years past, several MSU coaches have made guest coaching appearances, including men’s basketball’s Tom Izzo, football’s Mark Dantonio, women’s basketball’s Suzy Merchant and men’s soccer’s Joe Baum.

Boss said Tuesday he expected to have a couple guest appearances, but couldn’t reveal who they would be.

The biggest differences for the Spartans will be playing in front of a large, boisterous crowd and the teams’ use of wooden bats, instead of their usual aluminum bats. But junior center fielder Brandon Eckerle doesn’t expect the crowd to be much of a factor.

“As you get older and more experienced, you kind of learn how to handle the pressure and learn how to play with the big crowds and not let those things bother you,” Eckerle said. “It’s the same thing — same field, same distances, everything is the same — so you just kind of block the other stuff out.”

Wooden bats, on the other hand, might require an adjustment.

“Playing with wooden bats gives them a better taste of professional ball,” Boss said. “Our approach is being aggressive. If you can hit the ball on the barrel it’s going to go, but it’s a little tougher.”

The Spartans have started at least three freshmen for every game this season. Those new to the Crosstown Showdown are looking forward to the opportunity to play against professional players.

“As freshmen we’ve never played in it,” freshman left fielder Jordan Keur said. “We’ve heard big crowds show up. It’s going to be fun. I’m looking forward to it.”

Although the Spartans want to earn another victory against the Lugnuts, the team admits the game doesn’t have quite the competitive feel as Big Ten matchups.

It’s more about having fun.

“Being able to compare yourself to the kids who’ve been drafted and a minor league team is just a different experience,” Eckerle said. “A lot of people show up and it’s a fun experience.”

Share and discuss “Spartans, Lugnuts gear up for 4th annual exhibition” on social media.