Friday, October 25, 2024

MSU promotes sexual assault awareness

In dangerous situations, knowledge can be the best defense. Of course, a jab in the nose is a good back-up when that fails.

A free self-defense program will be offered Tuesday night as a part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

“College-aged women are a high-risk population,” said Shari Murgittroyd, program coordinator of the MSU Sexual Assault Program.

“Anyone between the ages of 16 and 24 are at high risk for sexual assault. One in four women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime, so just by the nature of falling in that category, college students are more at risk for sexual assault.”

Sexual Awareness Month is part of a nationwide effort to increase awareness about sexual violence. The theme for the 2010 campaign focuses on preventing sexual violence on college campuses.

“Sexual assault (on college campuses) happens quite frequently at a higher rate than the general public,” said Jessica Shomper, a communications specialist at the National Sexual Violence Resource Center.

“We thought it was an opportunity for us to share the knowledge on that general topic we do a national campaign.”

According to the MSU police annual security report, eight forcible sex offences occurred on campus in 2008 — down from the 18 reported cases in 2007 and 14 reported cases in 2006.

However, Murgittroyd said the numbers do not accurately reflect the victims of sexual assault on MSU’s campus.

“Only 20 percent of victims report to the police,” she said. “Our program serves between (300 and 400) clients a year.”

Lauren Allswede, the advocacy coordinator for the MSU Sexual Assault Program, said today’s culture prevents many people from reporting a sexual assault.

“A lot of people don’t tell anyone for fear of not being believed or being judged,” Allswede said.

“Sexual assault is the No. 1 underreported crime in this country according to the U.S. Department of Justice.”

The program Tuesday night will instruct students on physical self-defense and also provide participants with knowledge necessary to avoid dangerous situations.

“Students need to realize that it is a myth that the greatest danger is not from a stranger but from someone you think you can trust,” Murgittroyd said.

“Don’t become isolated with someone you don’t know well.”

Share and discuss “MSU promotes sexual assault awareness” on social media.