Friday, October 25, 2024

MSU to host Shamrock Run-Walk-Roll

Tower Guard Run chairs, marketing and international business sophomore Kyle Piercy, left, and general management sophomore Alex Tallman, laugh in Holden Hall on Monday afternoon as they put together medals for the 5k Shamrock Run-Walk-Roll race, to be held on Saturday. Piercy and Tallman have been talking to sponsors and organizing the event, which is the honor society’s biggest event of the semester.

When 5k races come to town, 26-year-old Midland resident Chris Clements, who is wheelchair-bound, is ready to roll.

With his brother, elementary education junior Adam Clements, pushing him, the pair will participate in the MSU Tower Guard 10th annual 5k Shamrock Run-Walk-Roll on Saturday at Conrad Hall. The race is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. All proceeds from the event will be donated to the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities, or RCPD, which is MSU’s initiative to help those at MSU with disabilities be fully included in campus life.

Tower Guard is one of the oldest student groups at MSU. It acts as an honor society for sophomores at MSU whose grade-point averages were in the top 5 percent of their freshman year class. Tower Guard works closely with the RCPD. Students in Tower Guard must spend 120 hours of their sophomore year working with students at MSU who have either physical or mental disabilities.

This year, Tower Guard reached out further to the East Lansing community, involving about 20 local businesses which have donated more than $3,000 in sponsorships.

International business sophomore Kyle Piercy, a Tower Guard member and one of the event organizers, said the group raised about $1,000 more compared to past years.

“The race is starting to become a tradition in the MSU community,” Piercy said. “It is spreading every year.”

Joe Vandecar, a manager at Noodles & Company, 205 E. Grand River Ave., said his store donated to the Shamrock Run because of its benefit to the community.

“We like to donate to help out the community and help out groups that are enriching the lives of people,” Vandecar said.

Tower Guard members expect about 500 people to enter the race — about 100 more than last year’s event, Piercy said. The race is open to MSU students as well as families of the students, members of the Greater Lansing community and staff of the RCPD. Participants pay a flat fee of $20, which also goes to the RCDP.

Michael Hudson, director of the RCPD, said even though the thousands of dollars raised through the Shamrock 5k makes up only about 1 percent of the RCPD’s total funding, the walk is important because of the group’s relationship with Tower Guard.

“The thing that I really reflect on is the sincere and tremendous effort they do every year,” Hudson said.

As in past years, the 5k stretch is open to those with disabilities to walk or roll in wheelchairs.

“We encourage students with all capabilities,” Piercy said. “The theme is run-walk-roll. We have kids finishing a 5k in 16 minutes and some rolling finishing the race within an hour or so.”

The race is open to various age groups with past participants ranging in age from 5 to 65.

Trophies will be awarded to both the male and female winners in eight age categories.

The event will include a DJ, an acapella group, bagpipers, face painting and food and beverages served after the race.

“Every year it gets bigger and better,” Adam Clements said. “I’m going to keep coming back as long as it keeps rocking.”

Share and discuss “MSU to host Shamrock Run-Walk-Roll” on social media.