House GOP will not seek earmarks

Federal earmarks secured last year by U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton, helped MSU mechanical engineering professor Gary Cloud conduct research on military vehicle resistance.

Cloud received about $2.8 million in earmarks that helped fund his initiative, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense.

“We were in the process of establishing a new center, and that funding was very important,” Cloud said.

But last week, U.S. House Republicans, including Rogers, said they would not pursue any earmarks in the upcoming budget year, leaving university and community officials uncertain about the future of federal funding.

Earmarks often are used by Congress to grant federal funds to benefit a local project in a particular lawmaker’s district.

More than $9 million in federal earmarks were allotted to benefit MSU research initiatives last year.

Projects benefiting include bovine tuberculosis research receiving about $246,000 and sustainable agriculture research receiving about $266,000. The Capital Area Transportation Authority, or CATA, was allotted more than $700,000 from Roger’s earmarks. Rogers and other House Republicans agreed not to seek earmarks as an attempt to reduce the nation’s $12.6 trillion deficit, according to a statement from Rogers.

“Our concern is with ramifications for the communities in the 8th District in Michigan … if we continue growing an already out-of-control debt that will end up on the shoulders of future generations,” Rogers said in an e-mailed statement.

Rogers’ spokesperson did not return calls requesting a phone interview. It is unknown whether Rogers will try to secure funds for these projects from other sources.

CATA used earmark funding to purchase new hybrid buses and renovate bus storage facilities, said Sandy Draggoo, CATA’s CEO and executive director.

“Mike always has supported us however he can, so hopefully we will be able to work with him to find another way to find funds,” she said.

Draggoo said CATA last year purchased two 40-foot hybrid buses with the aid of federal earmark funds.

The effect of Rogers’ decision on MSU is unknown because earmark funding continuously fluctuates and still could change, said Mark Burnham, MSU associate vice president for governmental affairs, said.

“We’ve sought earmarks in the past and probably will continue to do so in the future,” he said. “But it’s only a small part of the advocacy efforts we do here in Washington.”

Staff writer Zane McMillin contributed to this report

Share and discuss “House GOP will not seek earmarks” on social media.