Friday, September 27, 2024

Gadgets distract more than help

Pat Evans

George Clooney took a fall off the dock and into the saltwater and one thought ran through my mind as he dried off. What happened to his cell phone? His iPod? His Personal Digital Assistant?

I find it a little troubling that despite thoroughly enjoying the movie “Up in the Air,” I found myself worried about Clooney’s electronics that might occupy his pockets. The same worry would not have crossed the minds of moviegoers 20 years ago, but for me in these modern times, I couldn’t help worrying if Clooney’s character would have to purchase another BlackBerry. I came up with several column ideas while sitting in the theater, and most of them came back to how much technology is running our lives.

Apple’s release of the iPad surely exposes the truth to this statement. Although new innovations have gone from large to small to tiny, it seems Apple has decided to reverse the trend and release a larger version of something they already had, the iPod Touch. The new product doesn’t appear to be a whole lot different from the handheld version — just a new way to attract buyers. And the sad thing is, even at $499 a pop, consumers love the novelty of a new tech toy.

I suppose the issue here isn’t the idea that buyers will shell out cash for something fresh and fun. People have bought new entertaining products for centuries and it’s how trends and new ways of doing tasks gain traction in the public. The real issue is how willing the population is to purchase a new creation to do things they already have the means of doing with an older — but still perfectly good and technologically sound — piece of equipment, and just how important technology is to us.

Companies keep producing things to pack pockets. People — students especially — have trouble leaving the comfort of home without all their “necessities.” Take a look around, even at yourself, and you’ll notice when taking even a five minute walk, students most likely have earbuds in their ears or are chatting away on a cell phone.

It’s pretty hard to fathom that even 15 years ago, most students could go out for a night and also not worry about texting their friends at a different party or being able to call their buddy to see where they could meet up for some late-night munchies. A landline was just fine, you knew the one way to reach people. Paging maybe was an option, but only if they were in a beeper-friendly area.

Technology has made life incredibly easy and — in some ways — more enjoyable. The extent to which it is detrimental to society and the way we live might not be obvious to most, but it might become more so in the future.

One of the ways that technology is affecting our lives could become noticeable as soon as it is identified. Are you struggling in class? I highly doubt whatever you’re doing instead of being attentive in class is worth the $1,000 you or your parents are paying. If you’re not struggling, that’s fine, but if you are, shut down the computer and give listening a chance.

Some people don’t care enough about school and that’s all fine and dandy, but what about basic human interaction? Basic everyday tasks constantly are interrupted by technology. Instead of flirting with the pretty lady behind the counter at a restaurant, a patron is likely making her mad by trying to order a sandwich while on the phone. Maybe you’ll miss a potential future friend by listening to music while on the bus or waiting for class to start.

But here’s an even more disturbing issue: With the availability of ordering food and other products online, humans are even losing basic phone skills. Although at some points here, I’m attacking the cellular telephone, it’s becoming more extreme than just ruining human-to-human communication. People are now finding it more awkward to order a pizza by speaking to a real person on the phone.

It’s certainly one thing to have the ability to use convenient products when time calls for it, but to use them just because you are in possession of them is a tad bit excessive. Think about what you’re doing to your social skills and brainpower the more you deny yourself the opportunity to expand them.

After these habits have been imprinted on minds for the last decade, they might now be tough to break. Try a day without the burden of a cell phone. Friends might become upset when they can’t get a hold of you, but you might like the sounds and sights of which you become more aware with the new freedom.

And if previous generations are any indication, it is completely possible to jump into a body of water and enjoy it without being worried about what electronic device you just destroyed.

Pat Evans is the State News opinion writer. Reach him at evanspa7@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Gadgets distract more than help” on social media.