Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Festival brings frost to Lansing

Lansing resident Heather Richardson launches a snowball at her son Aiden, 6, Saturday afternoon at the Frost Fest in downtown Lansing. The Richardsons came out for the event to “have some fun in the winter weather,” Richardson said.

During Valentine’s Day weekend last year, Lansing celebrated its 150th anniversary of becoming a city.

This year, the directors of the Lansing Principal Shopping District decided to expand on last year’s success and created a new winter festival: Frost Fest.

“We saw how people came down for (the 150th celebration) and really liked that event so we decided to take it on as our own,” said Sara Pawloski, communications and marketing director for the shopping district.

“We wanted to do it just because there’s no big winter festival in the greater Lansing region and we knew it would fill in that hole. We know it’ll be something the community embraces.”

Saturday afternoon at Adado Riverfront Park and South Washington Square, activities included trebuchet launch shows, carriage rides, snowball throwing, a snowman creation area, liquid nitrogen and dry ice demonstrations and a warming tent.

Music was provided by Jammin’ DJs and The Edge (94.1-FM) and Capital Area Transportation Authority trolleys ferried people from one location to the other.

There also was a snowboarding terrain park where visitors such as civil engineering senior Jeremy Rabits, could bring their gear and enjoy free riding.

“It sounded like a great time,” he said. “We try to support Lansing’s activities.”

In the evening, the Michigan Brewing Company hosted a beer tent, ice bar and a “Cold Butt” euchre tournament. Contestants sat on a block of ice while they played for cash and other prizes.

Throughout the day, there also were ice sculptures downtown, including a large snowflake in the roundabout in front of the Capitol Building.

“Ice sculptures are a form of public art and you don’t get to see them every day,” said Mindy Biladeau, executive director for the shopping district. “So people love to see them, whether you’re 5 years old or 80.”

Lansing resident Tiffany Wiggins said the ice sculptures were her favorite part of the day, and she especially liked the giant snowflake.

“It looks like it took a long time to make,” she said.

Aimed to be a family-friendly event, the festival pulled in many parents with small children, including Lansing resident Tom Shutler, who brought his 4-year-old son Colum to enjoy the free outdoor events.

“We’re outdoors all the time,” he said. “We try to make it to all the events outside. It’s nice to come out and have fun.”

Biladeau said the liquid nitrogen and dry ice demonstrations were especially good for children to see.

“What better way to incorporate the science and the physics behind everything to young kids and make science fun?” she said.

Bath resident Garrett Davidson said he came to the Frost Fest with his kids and wife, Rebecca, to get out of the house and do something that was fun for his entire family.

“Winter’s dragging on and we’re getting cabin fever,” he said.

The event was planned to give everyone some quality entertainment to break up an otherwise dreary month, Biladeau said.

“It gives people something to do to avoid the winter blues,” she said. “And it brings people downtown at the same time.”

Share and discuss “Festival brings frost to Lansing” on social media.