Sunday, September 22, 2024

Owen's bankruptcy inexcusable

I think it is outrageous that students at MSU would condone and excuse the irresponsible behavior of MSU Trustee Faylene Owen and her husband, which resulted in their recent bankruptcy filing and their home foreclosure. Trustee Owen’s husband, Larry Owen, has been adamant about the couples’ financial predicament, claiming that their troubles are entirely his fault and that Faylene was simply along for the ride. As he put it, she sat in the driver’s seat while he drove their car into ruin. If she is not paying due attention to her personal finances and did not even realize she was headed for bankruptcy until late 2009, as was stated in an article in the Lansing State Journal, how can we as students expect anything different from her as she chairs the university’s finance committee? The State News’ editorial claims that Faylene Owen is not the sole decision maker on the finance committee, and therefore they feel confident she will not replicate her personal financial shortcomings in her committee chairmanship. But why wouldn’t she? Just as Faylene Owen worked in partnerships with her husband within their marriage and joint familial decisions, she also works in partnership with other board members. Does the editorial board suggest we trust that the other board members will make up for the financial decision making skills that Faylene Owen clearly lacks?

Both the State News editorial board and Larry Owen attempt to group the Owens in with the thousands of working Michigan families who are facing bankruptcy and other financial troubles. How ridiculous! As Michigan workers lose their jobs, face layoffs and have their salaries slashed, the Owens reported their monthly expenditures are more than $7,000. The Owens are a classic example of greed and corruption gone awry and are not to be confused with the real victims of Michigan’s current financial recession.

Mitch Goldsmith

social relations and policy Junior

Share and discuss “Owen's bankruptcy inexcusable” on social media.