Greek probation comes to an end

Less than two months after the alcohol-related deaths of two MSU fraternity members prompted the greek community to prohibit houses from hosting parties of any kind, the self-imposed social probation has ended.

Interfraternity Council, or IFC, President Bill Zajac and Panhellenic Council President Kait Rector said each house was required to submit a revised social policy to its respective council for consideration for removal from social probation.

Although each plan differed slightly depending on the house’s national affiliation, there were consistent steps taken across the board, Zajac said.

“Some of the things (houses will need to do) are register parties with IFC and the East Lansing Police Department,” he said. “Parties will also have to be approved 48 hours in advance (and) guest lists will also be required.”

Greek leaders started the probation in November following the deaths of Alpha Epsilon Pi business sophomore Ryan Rosman and Alpha Gamma Rho environmental soil science and chemistry senior Brian McMillen last semester.

The IFC oversees 25 fraternity chapters at MSU and the Panhellenic Council oversees 13 sorority chapters.

Additional modifications include no open serving of alcohol at parties and checking guest identification at the door, Zajac said. Despite the extra requirements, Rector said members of the greek community viewed the probation as a time for reflection rather than a punishment.

“Everyone knew it wasn’t for punishment,” Rector said. “It was that our entire campus needed to step back and double-check what was going on.”

However, each house also will experience more in-depth house checks and stiffer punishments for rule breaking, Zajac said. He said severe or repeated infractions could result in a house losing all social privileges, but did not identify other potential punishments.

In addition to lifting the probation, members of the greek community will be required to participate with drug and alcohol abuse prevention programs in conjunction with in-house awareness programs.

“We’re working with (the greek community) on programs looking into alcohol abuse prevention,” said Denise Maybank, the associate vice president for Student Affairs and Services.

Phi Kappa Psi Vice President Eric Peterson said the short probation could dull the memories of what happened last semester, but a commitment to the new social standards could prevent another tragedy from happening.

“There is a always a possibility that (those events) could be forgotten,” Peterson said. “But that is why the programs need to be stressed. If you don’t emphasize risk management, people will forget what happened.”

Share and discuss “Greek probation comes to an end” on social media.