Freshman becoming regular contributor to volleyball team

VanDerSteen

MSU volleyball freshman defensive specialist Cheyenne VanDerSteen has played in 27 sets in her first year with the team and is making the most of her minutes as she looks to add to the team’s youth movement.

Of the Spartans’ 15 players listed on their roster, 10 are freshmen and sophomores. VanDerSteen has seen considerable time for a freshman, contributing to MSU’s efforts on defense.

A native of Grand Ledge, VanDerSteen was an All-Conference performer during her sophomore, junior and senior seasons at Grand Ledge High School.

She recorded eight digs and seven assists in the team’s loss last Friday at Minnesota. Earlier this week, The State News caught up with VanDerSteen.

The State News: What has been your best experience so far as an MSU volleyball player?

Cheyenne VanDerSteen: I’d say being pushed to the ultimate max. The best experience is getting to know the team and putting in all the hard work together and being together as a team.

SN: As a freshman, have you gotten more comfortable as the season’s gone along?

CV: Absolutely. At the beginning of the season, I’d come to practice very scared and timid. But as the weeks go on, it’s a lot easier to start playing and get a lot more comfortable with the team and the coaches and getting better every day.

SN: What would you say is the best part of playing volleyball?

CV: The best part is winning and being aggressive and getting to show people what I’m made of and playing together with my team.

SN: Why did you choose MSU?

CV: I chose MSU mostly because of the coaching staff. You get the best of every single world with the three coaches that we have, and it’s so close to home for me that it makes it so much more comfortable.

SN: Fair enough. What’s been your favorite class so far at MSU?

CV: I’d say my nutrition class is probably my favorite class.

SN: What type of music do you listen to, and who’s one of your favorite artists?

CV: I listen to all different kinds of music from rap to country to hip-hop to oldies, but my favorite artist is Lil’ Wayne.

SN: Do you listen to any song in particular to get you pumped up before a game?

CV: No, it’s mostly rap with (Kyndra Abron) before the games that we listen to.

Share and discuss “Freshman becoming regular contributor to volleyball team” on social media.