Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Spartans lose, remain winless in Big Ten

Both the MSU men’s soccer team and its opponent, Wisconsin, were searching for their first conference victory Sunday afternoon in Madison, Wisc.

After playing to a 1-1 deadlock through regulation, it appeared the game would go down in the books as a tie.

But the Badgers were able to find the game-winner in the 104th minute of the second overtime to earn their first conference win.

“It was a little unfortunate,” MSU head coach Damon Rensing said. “That was a typical Big Ten game and you have to give a lot of credit to Wisconsin for making a play at the end. But our guys battled the whole way.”

It only was the second time this season MSU has allowed more than one goal in a game.

Junior midfielder Jeff Ricondo scored the first goal of the match for the Spartans in the 5th minute. Ricondo took possession of the ball at the top of the 18-yard box and took a hard shot into the lower left corner of the net.

Wisconsin answered in the 14th minute when forward Scott Lorenz chipped a shot over the head of MSU junior goalkeeper Avery Steinlage.

The Spartans had a chance to take the lead in the 44th minute when junior midfielder Spencer Thompson crossed the ball, and after the ball bounced off the feet of several players, it was fired on frame. But a Wisconsin defender was waiting on the goal line and cleared the ball out of danger.

MSU again had a goal robbed early in the second half when a Wisconsin defender cleared the ball off the goal line.

The Spartans kept the
offensive pressure rolling in the second half, recording seven shots compared to Wisconsin’s four.

“I felt pretty good in the second half,” Rensing said. “I think we only gave up one dangerous chance. I thought we played pretty well.”

But with five minutes remaining in the second and final overtime period, Lorenz struck again.

This time, he snuck behind the Spartans defense and deflected a through pass between the legs of Steinlage.

Share and discuss “Spartans lose, remain winless in Big Ten” on social media.