Friday, September 20, 2024

Hockey team splits with Maine

The MSU hockey team was unable to keep its undefeated streak alive Saturday night at Maine, falling to the Black Bears 5-3 in Orono, Maine.

The Spartans (3-1-0 overall) allowed the go-ahead goal on a power play with 1:39 remaining in regulation.

After being sent back down to the United States Hockey League midway through last season, sophomore forward Mike Merrifield scored his first goal of the year during his first start and freshman forward Derek Grant has recorded at least one point in all four games for MSU this season after tallying three assists in Friday’s game.

In that game, the Spartans proved they can win on the road, defeating the Black Bears 5-3 in the first game of the two-game set.

Junior forward Corey Tropp recorded a hat trick in the opening game, which included a short-handed goal in the second period.

Sophomore goaltender Drew Palmisano started both games in net for the Spartans, allowing seven goals on 43 shots.

The Spartans went 3-for-12 on the power play for the weekend and killed 12-of-16 penalties.

After a down season, the youthful Spartans have had no problems scoring goals this year.

MSU will open CCHA play this weekend at No. 1 Miami (Ohio), with the puck dropping at 7:05 p.m. Friday and 8:05 p.m. Saturday in Oxford, Ohio.

Share and discuss “Hockey team splits with Maine” on social media.