Spartans baseball overtakes U-M, 8-7, in crucial victory

The MSU baseball team chose its most hectic and crucial week of the season to turn out its longest game of the year on Friday. But they aren’t complaining.

In a game that lasted nearly three and a half hours and went for 11 innings at McLane Stadium in the middle of a five-game week, the Spartans put together two late-inning comebacks to cap off an 8-7 win against Michigan that could serve as the turning point in their season.

“We won,” junior outfielder Bo Felt said, “it doesn’t matter how many innings.”

After scoring two runs in both the bottom of the ninth and 10th innings, the Spartans put one more across in the 11th when senior catcher Eric Roof scored from second on an error by U-M shortstop Anthony Toth.

Felt hit a slow-rolling ground ball to Toth and Roof screened the shortstop enough running from second base for Toth to misplay the ball.

MSU coach Jake Boss Jr. waved Roof home, as the throw from Toth bounced before making it to the plate and Roof slid home safely.

“Eric’s a baseball-smart guy,” Boss said. “He’s grown up around the game and it’s just one of those little things that you can’t really teach.

“He created an opportunity there and fortunately for us it worked out.”

The game-winning hit capped off a remarkable three-inning stretch for Felt, who recorded two hits to aid the Spartans’ rally in the ninth and 10th innings. He finished 3-for-5 on the day with two runs and a walk.

“We made a few adjustments for Bo a few weeks ago and he really bought into it,” Boss said. “He’s been swinging he bat well. He’s been making the most of his opportunities.

“It worked out right. We had the right guy in at the right time.”

The Spartans entered the ninth inning trailing 5-3 when Felt and sophomore outfielder Brandon Eckerle led off with back-to-back singles. An error on a sacrifice bunt from junior outfielder Eli Boike allowed both runners to score and advanced Boike to third.

But after two intentional walks, a double-play and ground-out sent the game to the 10th inning, with the teams tied at five.

In extra innings, U-M’s Mike Dufek gave the Wolverines the lead again with a two-run home run to right center field.

The Spartans were not to be outdone, though, as the they loaded the bases again with one out in the bottom of the 10th. A walk brought in one run and senior infielder A.J. Shindler drove the ball to center field for a sacrifice fly that scored Felt, tying the game at seven.

Kurt Wunderlich threw a scoreless 11th inning for the Spartans, earning the win and allowing for MSU to finally enter an inning with an even score.

The first nine innings were a matter of MSU overcoming one four-run inning the Wolverines posted on MSU starter Nolan Moody.

In seven innings, Moody allowed just those four runs and struck out three and did not earn a decision. Spartans pitchers had the aid of four double plays turned in their favor and the Wolverines committed three errors in the game, leading to five unearned runs.

The victory marks the first time the Spartans (13-21 overall, 4-6 Big Ten) were able to come from behind this season when trailing in the ninth inning.

It also moves them into a tie in the Big Ten standings with the Wolverines (20-15, 4-6), since each team is 4-6 in the conference with two games left to play in the weekend series.

The two teams are scheduled to meet again tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Ann Arbor before returning to East Lansing on Sunday for the third game of the series at 1:05 p.m. at McLane Stadium.

Share and discuss “Spartans baseball overtakes U-M, 8-7, in crucial victory” on social media.