Thursday, October 24, 2024

MSU hosts Midwest improv groups

Left: Comedy troupes Your Mom Improv, from MSU, and Albatross, from Chicago, jump around the stage in Comedy Soup. Right: Psychology freshman Maureen van de Water, right, and journalism freshman Erin O’Connor react.

On Saturday night, students learned just how hard life would be if the Riddler stopped chasing Batman and became the bouncer at a local bar or club.

In this scenario, the key to enter to the bar would not be an ID, but the correct answer to a nonsensical riddle.

Comedy sketches such as this one were performed in the International Center as part of the sketch and improvisational show Comedy Soup. The event, now in its second year, was sponsored by the University Activities Board, or UAB, and the MSU comedy troupe Your Mom Improv and featured comedy groups from across the Midwest.

“Good comedy is being truthful,” said Martin Kellogg, a member of Ohio State University’s 8th Floor Improv, which performed at the event. “You have to not force anything. Things have to come naturally.”

Groups from Ohio State, Case Western Reserve University and Indiana University, among others, were put on the spot to create hilarious moments.

“You never know what’s going to happen until you’re right there,” said Clint Gibler, a member of Case Western group IMPROVment. “I really like that sort of fear.”

Gibler’s group performed in the style of the TV show “Whose Line is it Anyway?” by getting audience members involved in the process. Other groups stuck to sketch and improvisational comedy, creating scenes like a game of truth or dare at a 13th birthday party.

Ohio State started the night with an improvisational skit inspired by an audience member’s story. Little did they know, a lengthy tale about African peach pie would be their starting material. The hilarity continued throughout the night, with each group performing for about 45 minutes.

Your Mom Improv took the stage among the visiting groups, calling on the audience to get involved in its routines. Although some crowd members came for the free T-shirts that were given out, most came to get a good laugh. And they found what they were looking for.

“We go to every single comedy show here,” finance freshman Savina Mehta said as she sat with friends. “We’re huge fans of stand-up.”

Mehta said she and friends meet for “Comedy Thursday” every week to watch YouTube videos of their favorite comedians. She had almost two rows of chairs reserved for friends.

The night ended with members of all the troupes participating in a comedy game.

“Everyone was really excited to be here,” said Kari Ryan, a film studies and advertising senior and Your Mom president. “The groups were all super funny.”

Jake Lestan, UAB director of spirit and traditions, said based on the good turnout this year, UAB hopes to host another show in the future.

Share and discuss “MSU hosts Midwest improv groups” on social media.