Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Better on a budget

New Year's resolutions get a makeover in recession-era U.S.

For some students, spending the winter indoors can lead to pent-up energy and the desire to get their bodies in shape in time for spring. While the idea of jogging in the snow and slush or doing yoga on the soggy ground is difficult to accept, there’s no need to give up on fitness goals.

“You can use gallon water jugs in place of lifting dumbbells, you can use heavy textbooks in the place of free weights or you could go out and buy resistance bands for around $20 generally,” said Zach Mikutowicz, personal trainer at Snap Fitness, 115 Grand River Ave. “You can also use any ledges in your room or your bed to work off instead of benches and gym equipment.”

In this three-part video, Mikutowicz demonstrates how to do a complete workout in a dorm room, using items commonly found in dorm rooms as substitutes for common gym equipment.

Every year people choose to make that one crazy New Year’s resolution to make their lives better. While most of those are usually dropped by early February, tough economic times make resolutions that much harder to put into action.

Everything from that gym membership, to the cost of going to the movies, to spending more time with friends and family have become a pain in the wallet that just won’t go away.

“In easy times, we have the luxury to be wasteful by not paying close attention to things,” said Charles Ballard, an MSU economics professor. “When we perceive times to be tougher, that luxury is gone. You can’t waste your money and you have to be more aware of every penny.”

So how can you live better on a budget? Here are some tips so you can make your plans recession-friendly.

Get in shape

“I think the snow is the biggest challenge, and when people are not members of a gym, they have a hard time finding activities to do because they’re stuck inside from the snow,” said Zach Mikutowicz, personal trainer at Snap Fitness, 115 Grand River Ave. “Also, a lot of people tend to get lazy in the winter … It’s a contributor to them losing their fitness.”

No need to worry. A number of simple exercises can be done from the comfort of your dorm room or apartment that cost little to no money.

Mikutowicz said a number of dorm room items can be used as substitutes for common gym equipment.

“You can use gallon water jugs in place of lifting dumbbells, you can use heavy textbooks in the place of free weights or you could go out and buy resistance bands for around $20 generally,” Mikutowicz said. “You can also use any ledges in your room or your bed to work off instead of benches and gym equipment.”

Overhaul your style

For many of us, a new look is at the top of our list entering a new year. With a variety of affordable ways to put such a resolution into motion, this is one resolution that even students can afford to hold to.

One way to spice things up and stay on a budget is by looking to the past for inspiration. Vintage clothing stores such as Scavenger Hunt, 503 E. Grand River Ave., offer unique options for those after one-of-a-kind pieces to make a smooth and comfortable transition.

“As far as clothing and price go, our stuff is a good quality. You’re not buying something that will fall apart in a year,” said Paul Delamater, Scavenger Hunt employee. “This place is college-and-budget friendly.”

If vintage clothing just isn’t something you can get on board with, try searching your favorite stores for sale items or going online to browse for bargains. Web sites like eBay.com are ripe with used and new clothing, in almost every brand, for cheaper prices.

For those looking to maintain their designer style, Bluefly.com and Overstock.com carry designer items for a fraction of the cost.

Make new friends

There is nothing quite like the comfort of old friends, but sometimes the thrill of the new is just what the doctor ordered.

Prescription for the new year: Shake things up a bit with some new people in your life.

For students on a campus with so many people, this should be easy, but most of us still need a shove in the right direction.

Many students take advantage of the local bar scene, but avoid some spots due strictly to a steep cover charge. Though a cover is difficult to avoid on the weekends, some are more bearable. The Riviera Cafe Restaurant and Lounge, 231 M.A.C. Ave., charges no cover on weekdays and $2 on Friday and Saturday nights with ID.

If you still don’t want to pay or are just not 21, there are endless activities around campus to bring students together.

“I think joining clubs is a really good way to (meet people); that’s what I’ve been doing,” said premedical freshman Amanda Laurent. “We went out ice skating as well, and you can meet a bunch of cool people there, too.”

Munn Ice Arena offers public skating times sporadically throughout the week at a cost of $4 for MSU students with ID and $5 for the general public older than 18 years of age. They also have ice skates available to rent for $2.

Be more organized

For some, the new year means simply making sure you step up your game and learn to manage your time a little bit more efficiently than in years’ past.

However, in a world overflowing with technological gadgets claiming to basically schedule your life for you, not all of us can drop hundreds of dollars to keep our agendas quite so userfriendly.

Mike Wylie, assistant manager of Student Book Store, 421 E. Grand River Ave., said students come in every day looking for things to keep them organized, and he mostly suggests inexpensive standards such as day planners and spiral notebooks.

“You just need to pick a system and stick with it,” Wylie said. “If you’re consistent at it, it will work for you.”

Wylie also said that the tried-and-true method of the classic academic datebook is one that he doesn’t see slowing down in popularity any time soon.

“An academic datebook costs about $3.69, so for $3.69 you can get pretty organized,” Wylie said. “We sell a ton of them … even though people keep track of things on computers and cell phones, our sales continue to be very good on just standard, old paper organizers.”

Eat healthier

A monthlong vacation of holiday meals and comfort food can motivate people to start off the new year with a healthier diet.

“All foods are OK, if you eat a variety of protein, fats and carbohydrates, and include foods with adequate calcium intake and fiber. Then allow for foods you eat just for fun. … Variety is good,” said Ronda Bokram, a nutritionist at Olin Health Center.

Bokram said there are no foods that should be avoided altogether.

She also said to save money, students should buy generic foods, not name brands, watch for grocery store sale flyers and use coupons.

Local health food stores, like the East Lansing Food Co-Operative, or ELFCO, 4960 Northwind Drive, are other places to find all-natural, organic foods to enrich your diet.

“Go to the bulk foods section first,” ELFCO general manager Dave Finet said. “I recommend the bulk grains and beans. When you look around the world at food staples, grains and legumes are popular. They’re a very low-cost way to get a nutritious meal.”

And for those who need a little extra help with their new and improved eating habits without spending cash, Bokram said nutrition counseling is available free of charge for all MSU students. Call (517) 353-4660 to make an appointment.

Quit smoking

With MSU banning smoking within 25 feet of a building and cigarettes costing about $4.50-$5 a pack, one of the ways for students to save money this year while becoming healthier is to quit smoking.

Olin Health Center provides free smoking cessation programs for MSU students, allowing them to access help toward their goal. Programs on MSU’s “U Can Quit” Web site include the MSU CHANTIX Smoking Cessation Project, one-on-one coaching and a quitting support group, among others.

And for those needing a little extra motivation, the cost of buying one $5 pack of cigarettes a day is a $1,825-a-year financial commitment.

What would you do with an extra $1,825 a year to spend?

“I would probably just buy stuff for people because I love doing that,” Spanish freshman Jenna Strong said. “Then, I would go to The Salvation Army and buy a bunch of clothes for like a dollar and have my entire wardrobe for the next year.”

Share and discuss “Better on a budget” on social media.